Do I have a special or standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have a special or standard?

I am needing some help. I am trying to figure out whether or not I have a standard or a special. The title states the bike is a 78, and in everything I have looked up it says there was no special made in 78, but my bike has a serial number for a 78 as well. My problem is it also has the charecteristics of a special. It has the round headlight as well as the tear drop tank. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a standard and make it look like a special? Thanks
    "Don't cry over the mistakes you have made. Just dread the ones you will make in the future."

78 xs1100 standard or special unknown. Since 2007
    Eaglechaser

To Your left

Click on the Specifications in the list on the Left of this page and your serial number will tell you what you have .
    Doug
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Swap like Lego

"Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a standard and make it look like a special?"
      Hi Eagle,
      buy enough parts and you can go either way. The frame, front wheel, motor & drive train are all the same. Swap the forks & tinware, bars, tank, seat, rear wheel, footpegs, headlight, signals, gages and doubtless a few other small bolt-on parts to turn either into the other. Just like Lego. Like Mitch sez, check the spec. list against your serial # to see what the bike originally was.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

frame

The Special and Standard frames are different, but not by much. Easy way to tell them apart is to look at the rear brake lever. The Standard lever sits almost flush to the rear footpeg mount bracket. The Special lever sticks out about 1 inch from the bracket. HTH
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

If the bike is indeed a 1978 model it is a standard. The specials were released in 1979.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

has the charecteristics of a special

How about posting a couple pics?

mro
            BTW, welcome to XS land

Comment

I will work on getting some pics so I can post. thanks
              "Don't cry over the mistakes you have made. Just dread the ones you will make in the future."

Eaglechaser

Comment

Anythings possible! I thought I was buying an 81 special when I got mine...the more I looked at it I wondered...160 speedo, teardrop tank and square headlight. Checked the serial number and it starts 4R1 so that makes it a standard! I say who cares with these wonderful machines!!!

Josh
                Josh
                81' Standard/Special
                (Underdog)

Comment

Re: Swap like Lego

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  "Can anyone tell me if it is possible to take a standard and make it look like a special?"

Hi Eagle,
                  buy enough parts and you can go either way.
                  That's the #1 reason why you gotta think twice about picking up a babe these days!

Don
                  currently own;
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                  2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I have a standard, but it's special to me!

Paul
                    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                    1979 XS1100 Standard
                    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Is it a 79 special made in late 78?
                      1980 XS11 Basketcase

Comment

I am not sure of that. I would like to think it is a late 78 that made it thru as a special and it is a mistake. That would make it more special than it already is.

Eaglechaser

Comment

The model year usually begins in September of the year before. A 79 Special could have a production date of 9-78.

Comment

I am still checking into a few things. But I believe by the serial number cross refrencing it with the specs link, it was the 513th one made in 78. I am still trying to get a hold of a digital camera so I can post some pics. Maybe then yall will see why I am so confused. Thanks for all the responses tho, it is helping me to find different angles to look at.

Eaglechaser

Comment

serial # chart:
                              http://www.xs11.com/specifications/serialno.shtml

If the first 3 digits of your serial # start with 3H3 you have a 79 Special. The numbers can be found stamped on the steering stem and stamped on the top of the transmission.

Comment

Working...
                              X