LED taillight bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED taillight bulbs

In a continuing effort to get the most out my 80G charging system, I made the following discovery. As most of you know, our beloved XS's are not champions when it comes to alternator output and sitting at a light with headlight, taillights and brake light on sends alternator output into the basement. I measured amp draw with my dual bulb brake lights on, almost a full 5amps. While cruising the local Pep Boys, I picked up a pair of LED 1157 bulbs (6.99ea). Installed these and took another reading, less than 2amps with brake lights on and less than .75amps with tailights only. My headlight no longer dims when I hit the brakes and the turn signals flash at a steady rate at idle. While they do not appear to be as bright as the incandesent bulbs, I had a buddy ride behind for a rel life check. He says they are every bit as bright as the old system, if not a little more intense. I figure it was a good $13.00 investment.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

The only problem with LEDS in a bike like the XS is there is no side light. The LEDS will look bright from directly behind, but as soon as you start to look at it from an angle or the side, the light intensity drops off in a hurry. I use my lights to be seen, until something comes along that allows for better vision from all angles, I will stick with a regular bulb. (I have been thinking about a 4 prong tail light with a bulb going to each side as well)
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

The idea sounds good. The first response is a little sobering though.
      I will watch for comments from others here in the group.
      I too am trying to find a way to get more lighting capability.

Wasn't there an XS1100 that was used for police service?
      I've gotta believe that they would have had a higher output for all of the electrical accessories used on a police special.
      Anybody?
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

LED response

I guess I should have mentioned my rig is a hard bagger. I have extra light on the rear and sides (after being rearended three times). Also, while at Pep Boys, I found dozens of small neon and LED lights that could be retro fitted inside the lens. I will advise after.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I know that at TeXSive last year, Danny has some cool LED lights on his Valk. The were in a ring and looked pretty bright.
          Danny? What were those things again?
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
          X