air filter and carb adjustment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air filter and carb adjustment!

I was thinking of swapping my stock air filter for a set of k-n filters. I was wondering if there was much difference in the performance of the bike with this upgrade. Also if I do this will I need to adjust the carbs, and if I don't adjust the carbs what will happen? Thanks.
    1982 XJ1100

Hey Conky,

IF you are looking to put INDY filters on due to difficulty in finding the OEM styled air filter for the XJ, and that they are expensive, and with the AIR BOX on, it's a bit of a PITA to R&R the carbs, then you can do the mod, but it doesn't really provide any improvement in performance, and many will say that it actually makes them harder to tune!! You loose the velocity stack type air flow without the box, can lean out the air/fuel mixture, causing more trouble with low rpm response, as also possibly burning holes in the top of pistons....extreme chance but possible.....IF you don't evaluate how it's running and burning by reading the plugs, and adjusting the carbs to compensate for the increased air flow, larger mains, or raising the floats a little, etc.!!

If it's just cause you are having a hard time finding replacement filters, then check out these 2 threads:
    Old thread showing photos of K&N XJ filter mod

Newer thread with actual K&N part #'s for said mod, photos missing though!

However, the Pods do look cool, IMHO, and they provide a different louder sound, you can hear the engine more when you open up the throttle and carbs! Your choice!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X