How could it leak water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could it leak water?

1982 XJ1100. Of course, it can't really leak water, but water is what was dripping out of the air box yesterday, when I returned home and pulled into the garage. At first, I thought it must have been gas, as it was coming from the general area of the carbs, but then I saw that is was water. I was chilly yesterday, in the 30s. I'm guessing that it was condensation, but I've never seen that happen before, and that was certainly not the first cold weather ride it's been on. Not a lot of water, just a small puddle. Why would it do that?
    The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

"A little late for April Fool's jokes, isn't it?"

Your high rate of speed and the resulting rush of super-cooled air ingestion caused the carbs to ice up, which eventually melted...
    Actually, I haven't a clue.
    Oh, I do... but lack the scientific terminology to properly explain it.
    It's condensation, like you mentioned.
    Check your oil.
    I've seen winter ridden bikes with oil/condensation problems. The oil looked OK, but there were white/foamy deposits on the internal walls of the engine. One can usually see this on the underside of the oil filler hole cap. Means too many short trips with cold conditions and an engine that never warms up properly.
    All one can do is run the hell out of the bike, melt the stuff off and change the oil.
    Make sure your crank case breather hose is able to vent.
    You may wish to get some engine flush of some sort. Get the engine hot and pour it in to the oil. Run the bike for a while and then drain.(don't forget to refill!)
    DISCLAIMER: Remember that this stuff thins and breaks down the oil. Don't run it too hard nor too long. (And no, I can't tell you just how much is too hard nor too long)
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

thanks. all things I wouldn't have known to look for.
      The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

Comment

Working...
      X