clip-ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clip-ons

i KNOW there are some people on here that have them. looking for some opinions and info. I want the aggressive stance. I'm bobbing my bike and WAS going to go with some drag bars,but after hearing on here how they dont work all that well w/out risers, I'm weighing my other options. What size/brand clip-ons work well? used bar-end mirrors or what? cable length issues? I searched but couldnt find much on this topic.
    Justin Wright
    '79SF Bobber Wannabe

Hey Justin,

I need to save the link to a thread where Denny Zander has posted his photos just for this type of question! However, I think if you look him up in the members section, and then click on the link to his web page, you should be able to see the photos of his clip ons! Others have done them with bar end mirrors also!

You have the special. Depending on how LOW you want the front end, you can slide the fork tubes UP enough thru the triple trees to mount the clip ons onto the tops above the TT's! Other way is to use different headlight ears, which would allow you to mount the clip ons below the top TT, even lower!

Others have posted photos of chopped bikes with short bars, there's a variety of relatively flat bars that you might like that wouldn't necessarily require a riser to clear the tank!? Check out the Bike photos THREAD....NOT the OTHER BIKE PHOTO's Thread!
    T.C.

PS, here's his web page:
    http://dennyzander.com/
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

so what does sliding the fork tubes up entail? what pros/cons do I have going that route? do we have a write up? I dont even know what to search for that one.

I checked out denny's site but he really only had a couple of pics up where you could see the clip-ons.
      Justin Wright
      '79SF Bobber Wannabe

Comment

HERE's a thread in the Other Bike Forum that shows some larger photos of his(AudiJunky) modded bike, but I can't quite tell if he used RISERS for the bars, it has the OEM bar clamp on top, but might be on top of some risers???

Loosen the fork tube clamping bolts on both TT's upper and lower, and then slide the tube UP thru the clamps and the Headlight ears,might want to support the front of the engine/frame so that it won't DROP down the tubes and hit the fender! Folks will also probably say you should loosen all the other parts, axle nuts and such so that you can be sure to get them EVEN, and not get binded! YMMV!

I'll find the OTHER BIKE thread in the Member's lounge and post, or even just BUMP it up to the top so you can find it!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by jgw1986
          what pros/cons do I have going that route?
          Cons include lower ground clearance, tip over risk unless you shorten the side stand, some extra lift to main stand the bike.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

If you go to standard triple clamps, standard fork shocks with Special tubes, you will maintain stock geometry and have a little over 3" of fork tube sticking up above the top clamp to mount clip-ons to.

I have run this configuration on my Standard for many many miles.

I lowered the front down around 30mm also. To keep the TKat fort brace from bashing the break junction block on big bump or from coming down off a wheelie, I went to dual ss lines off the M/C and ditched the junction block.

DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

you could try "clubman" or "cafe" bars, they should give you the low bars you want without having to jump through any hoops. they're supposed to clear the trees but instead of going up, they go down. kinda like those guys did way back in the day to give their bikes a sporty look but before the accessories were available.
              I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

The PO of my bike did something to the top triple tree. I am trying to remember right now. I have a small riser of sorts that uses the xisting bolt holes in the top triple tree. It also allows you to resue the existing top clamp for the bars. If you want I could take some pics of it.
                "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
                "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
                79 XS1100 modified standard
                Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
                pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
                straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
                new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
                Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
                Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
                owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Movin', mixin' and matchin'

Hi Justin,
                  TC sez " - - You have the Special. Depending on how LOW you want the front end, you can slide the fork tubes UP enough thru the triple trees to mount the clip ons onto the tops above the TT's! - - "
                  Be aware that if you slide the fork tubes up (you are really moving the front of the bike frame DOWN, right?) you will also be lessening the front wheel's steering trail. This in turn makes the bike's steering lighter. This is one of the little tricks to make sidecar rigs steer lighter on the cheap but you may or may not be happy with it on a solo bike. OTOH, Dennyz' trick with the Special fork tubes in Standard forks inspires the thought that with a Special with slid up tubes, fitting Standard sliders will move the front wheel backwards again to regain solo trail and as a bonus, gets you normal front brake calipers rather than those strange swivelly ones.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                  X