Hagon shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagon shocks

Anyone have any experience with Hagon shocks? I'm considering replacing my rear shocks and the Hagons look more like originals than the Progressive 412 shocks. Is it a given that our shocks should need replacing after 23 years? I'm only 157 lbs on a naked special, so mine are not bottoming out or anything, but I might not know what I'm missing.
    Robert
    79 SF

Hey there Rob,

One thing I remember with my OEM's , and they were new, was that when I was in first gear and would be doing like 15mph, then I would blip the throttle, the back end would surge upwards, and then back down if I let off of it, kinda like one of those kid's spring horsey!! I think I had the dampening set too light, but even on 4, I still remember it doing that. My new shocks don't!!! So....if you feel like you're riding a bucking bronco every time you get on and off the throttle, and you've got the damper set to 4, then....yes, you could be in for some new shocks. But if it's not rising and falling much, then your dampers in the shocks may still be working okay, and you probably don't need to change them.....yet!?!? HTH!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hagons are big with the Brit bike and Vintage BMW crowd. They are supposedly the same as Girling Motorcycle shocks from days ago. I corresponded with David Quinn Motorcycles a while back and they had chrome ones in stock for the XS, but they were still a bit pricey for my cheap XS. Less $$ than the progressives as I recall. They come with springs.

Can't say anything bad about progressives; If you have the money, they are good shocks - I have a set on my sportster, and they work very well.
      Rocky
      00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
      80 XS11 Special -sold
      77 HD Sportster
      75 Norton Commando

Comment

I was considering a name brand for shocks. What are people's experience with generic shocks (ie. partsnmore, jcwhipme, etc.) vs. name brands (Progressive, Hagon)?
        Robert
        79 SF

Comment

Generic Shocks

Hey there Rob,

I've got a set of the WHIPME shocks, and they seem to perform adequately, I'm only 215 lbs, don't ride 2 up hardly at all. I don't get any of the rear rise syndrome like I used to with the old stock shocks, and the WHIPME are kinda progessive styled with dual rate springs. I think they are good for the $$ spent.
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X