If your Clutch Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your Clutch Cable?

If your Clutch cable is worn can your bike slip gears? I have just got done replacing my cable and so far after the maiden voyage no slipping out of second gear. Sound fair?
    78 Standard Pix's Xs1100
    ( Pop's Ride ) not running
    79 special New to the House
    (Okie) running

The cable being new or worn will not make the clutch slip, but the cable adjustment can. Sounds like you got the new one adjusted "just right" while the old one was "a bit too tight". Ride it with gusto and you will know soon enough if it has a second gear problem.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Yes,maybe.

If a clutch cable is stretched it will not allow the gears to fully engage, and they will jump out of gear, but this is more of a first gear problem and usually it happens in the middle of a busy intersection with everyone watching and admiring your bike.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

cable run

Hi Jimbo,
        like Ken sez, it's not if it's worn but how it's adjusted. Another thing that affects how well the clutch cable works is how it is run from the lever through the bike, under the tank, etc. on it's way to the clutch casing.
        The clutch cable on my own extremely fritzed-up by POs XS11SG was too short to run in the usual route without being pulled through some pretty sharp bends and so I re-ran it in one big external swoop from the lever to the clutch case.
        OK it looks ugly but for a 50% reduction in clutch effort I can live with that
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

This is something I've been wondering for awhile since Clymer doesn't really say and I've been meaning to adjust mine: which way to you turn the screw under the cover to tighten or loosen the clutch?
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

If you turn the screw clockwise, you will take the slack out of the clutch. CC will put more slack in the cable. The adjustment under the cover usually only needs to be done two or three times over the life of the clutch. Once it's adjusted properly, you THEN start to adjust the cable at the clutch lever.
            Don't forget, Loosen the cable all the way at the handlebar BEFORE you adjust the screw under the cover!!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You can turn that screw all you want, if the cable is stretched it won't make any difference until you replace the cable.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

maybe this is why mine slips in 1st gear!?!? It didnt start until after i changed to the superbike bars and had to reroute the cable......hmmmmm.
                1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
                -Pod Filters
                -4-1 pipe
                -larger jets for carbs
                1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

Working...
                X