Ignition Module? No Spark At All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Module? No Spark At All

Hey Everybody(ESPECIALLY YOU TOPKAT) Been awhile since I've been on here, but my computer is down, and I have to go to the library to go online anymore....I am HELLA Frustrated, as is my mechanic, Richard......Last time I road my bike was back in October 2007, and she ran great....I was neglectful, and have not had the time to start her, or charge the battery since then.....Last week, Tried to start her, cranked for awhile, and battery died, replaced battery. tried to start her.......rrrrrrrrur,rrrrrrur....rrrrrrrrrrur, wont turn over, sprayed some starter fluid in Air cleaner, Nothing, just turns over, but no catch or attempt at running at all. REplaced Spark plugs......nothing, new Gas with some SEA FOAM, nothing........Took her to shop for Richard to look over and do some other things, and he gave me the lowdown today( he is a very good mechanic) after 4 hours of trying to find problem, unsuccessful......He said it could be the Ignition Module, since the coils seem to NOT be the problem. He removed the Ignition Module (1980 XS 1100G Standard w Tour package) and I took it over to the Yamaha/Harley Davidson Dealership, and the mechanics there, said they do not test the module, but all the other things around it, stating that if these things are all good, then the Ignition Module is BAD!! Cannot use other year Ignition Modules.....price $585.00 for a new one, if they can find it. CAN ANYONE HELP?? Does any one know what could be the problem? Richard said over the course of looking for the problem, he got the Spark plug to fire TWICE, and then nothing. He said there was some water corrosion around the wiring by battery, and he cleaned each area, as he inspected it. He asked me to approach you guys online, and see if anybody can give him some hint, or help, to get my bike out of the shop, so he can work on other waiting bikes!!!! I am worried, frustrated, and anxious(of what this will cost!) PLEASE HELP, I would like to go through the forum, and Tech tips for answers, but I do not have the time available at the Library computer. I will check for anwers tomorrow here, or call 505-406-8617, if you have an answer, or need to talk to me about it. Richard will be closing his shop until Tuesday, but I will leave the phone number here for his shop, in case someone wants to talk to him about this issue, on tuesday.....505-325-7728
    Thanks everyone....And TopKAT, I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN!! in Fact. I will need your Address to mail......would have done it sooner, but I have been on the road, with no computer. I MISS this forum believe me!! I Love it........Bobby
    80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
    HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

Check the pickup coil wires. Check the ignition fuse and surrounding connections.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

MODULES AND PICK UP COILS

I have two styles of modules and a nice pile of known good pick up triggers if you need them. The older style module is off of a bike that I have that has never ran since I got it but it was parked (so claims the previous owner) due to stanky carbs, not ignition troubles. SO, if you need a module or pick up coils, drop me a note. Motopsycho@wat.midco.net

Comment

2nd attempt!

Let me try this again, and see IF I can get it done before my laptop goes on the fritz again....damn intermittent short in the power cord plug, and occasionally when I shift around it drops to battery power instead of AC, and I don't notice it, and the battery is OLD, only lasts a few minutes, then BLACK SCREEN, not even a chance to go to Standby!

Okay, First, don't bother with the Dealer, they don't CARE about any bikes older than 10 years! And has been posted, you can get used Iggy boxes for cheap, fellow Xsives as well as Ebay! And IF your bike is a true 80G, then you CAN use Iggy boxes from 78-80, so don't know who told you that you couldn't use any other year box???Only if yours was an 81 with the 4RO, then you would have a limit of what to use!

How did your Mech eliminate the COILS as not a problem? Did he do OHM checks on Primaries and secondaries? The other coils that were commented on are the PU coils, left side of engine crank cover. The wires specifically are prone to flexing and breakage, but I vaguely remember you replacing them with NOS??

Did you charge the NEW battery overnight FIRST before installing and using it? Their dry charges are not the maximum, and most recommend charging for 24 hours BEFORE putting into use to reach highest charge potential! A weak battery can cause the Iggy to malfunction, not function=fire!!

Sea foam usually helps with a RUNNING engine, being able to be drawn into the carbs and thru them to do its magic!

How was the bike stored since the Fall, in a garage or outside? Corrosion can build up between connectors causing all sorts of problems if they were not previously cleaned and protected with dielectric grease!

A more thorough troubleshooting process needs to be taken, staring at the plugs, No spark, then check Igg Coils resistance, if within spec, then check the PU coil resistance at plugs at TCI, if okay, then check TCI. The solder joints can go bad and a simple resweating of them to where they join the wires to the external plug connectors can be all it needs. The TCI's are fairly robust, and rarely die like that. Other basics like connectors clean, grounds good, Fuses, etc.!!

Once getting fire, then can work on fuel, starting fluid into airbox isn't always a good way to tell. The small jets in the float bowls are easily clogged/ gummed up, and would prevent fuel flow thru the Enrichener circuit preventing starting!!

Long shots are the tipover switch, can just remove to eliminate as a problem.

I'll PM you with snail addy!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

yama/hd omg be still my heart.......whos bright idea was that

and thats why they wont test it, their used to selling that hd junk
          when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
          '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
          '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
          '78 Cadillac Seville
          Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

OK, heres the news.........IT WAS THE COILS!!! MY mechanic remembered me saying that I tried to jump the old battery, with my truck battery(not running ) and that I blew out the coils with that smart move.....replaced coils, and it is running great.....I told the receptionist at the shop that I believed it was the coils, before I even brought it in, and now I will get socked with manual labor costs, but he's a good dude, he'll be fair........got a new dunlop k127C for 29.99( tire is 10 years old!!) but it looks great after cleaning the cobwebs off, and what a great tread pattern..deep grooves, and hopefully, will last longer than my Spitfire S-11's(one summer) Thank you guys for the help, as usual, you came through for me.......
            80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
            HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

While sitting in a chair, tilt your head back, and watch the wall behind you, instantly become a ceiling....

Comment

OH, and yes TopCat , I did Charge the battery for 15+ hours!! Don't know why they told me it was the only compatible year Iggy, I am just repeating the answer!!
              80'XS1100G "Red Velvet"
              HD VRSCA 03' V Rod

Comment

NO WAY you 'blew out' the coils by jumping it, that's just bull from a guy who doesn't know the real answer. If anything were to blow, it would be electronics like the TCI.

If I were you, I'd avoid that 'mechanic' in the future.

Comment

Mechanic NOT really doing you any favors!?

Hey Robert,

Well, most of us would probably say that you did NOT blow your spark plug coils out with the jump!! Since the truck wasn't running, the circuit only drew what power it needed, 12 volts is 12 volts. I know it had lots more amps available, but would only draw what it needed! SO...the coils DIED, did not get blown out , not uncommon for 25 year old coils!! Did you put in OEM coils, or did you get the nice high power replacements from MikesXS??? They are very cheap, and you don't need to keep/use the ballast resistor when you put them in?

And I sure hope that tire you got wasn't from your mechanic, selling you a 10 year old tire, no matter how nice the tread looks is no favor..the rubber is old and hardened, will not grab the road very well, and could develop separation under load and heat! A BLOWOUT waiting to happen, not a good thing to be putting on your bike, especially riding 2 UP!!!!!!!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X