MSD Install issues, need ideas/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSD Install issues, need ideas/help

I finally got everything together today and took it out for a ride. It is not my old bike. Something is wrong. It starts, idles, and seems to run great except it is lacking in power big time. It just feels like its really flat. No sputters, or weird running, it just doesn't get up like it did.

Currently it is running the stock timing assembly and ignition into the MSD unit and coild. Both coils have been tested. I set my PUC gaps to .006. I installed stock NGK plugs and gapped them to .045 (as suggested by the MSD install manual .045-.060). The MSD didn't come with the bike side of the wiring harness so I had to figure out the wires myself. But it runs so I am assuming I figured correctly. Any ideas?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Just a guess from the info you provided but it would seem to me that if it starts and runs well but has no power that for some reason you are not getting any spark timing advance.
    You could try putting an timing light on it and you should see the spark timing advance as you rev up the engine.
    Keep us posted as this intruiques me.
    The Old Tamer
    1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Try dropping the plug gap down to .040

Comment

DT, that is kind of what I was thinking. It seems to have most of the bottom end but not mid-top. However, it is hard for me to believe because the signal the MSD unit gets to fire the coils is coming directly from the stock iggy. The MSD box is literally just inline of the original system.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Kinda figured that it was just in line so that just left me thinking about the centrifical advance. Some time back I put in a new set of PUCs on an 1100 and some how or another (just can't remember what it was) did something wrong while setting the gap or something and the advance got jammed up and I had to go back in there and correct the situation.
          I believe that I am correct in thinking that you do not have a vacuum advance on your bike and that chore is regulated to the OEM ignition control. This may have something to do with the wiring that the control did not explain??
          Still thinking perhaps that for some reason the centrifical advance is not working and that takes us back to checking it with a timing light.
          The Old Tamer
          1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

You are correct that the OEM iggy controls the task of timing advance and there is no mechanical advance. Like all the XS, it does have a vacuum timing retard. I gapped the PUC's when I had it apart. Because of the electronic timing curve, the timing housing isn't even slotted to allow timing adjustment. I will check out the timing with a light though to see if there is any advance.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
            X