78 exhaust on a 79 special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 exhaust on a 79 special?

Does anyone know if the exhaust off of a 78 will fit on a 79 special?

I've got a 79 special with 4 into 1 and my dad knows a guy that has a 78 with good stock exhaust. He would rather have the 4 into 1 and I would rather have the stock so I can put the center stand back on.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

It's not going to be a bolt on situation and I am not sure if it will go on at all. The standard 11 Stock exhaust is a lot different then the special stock exhaust. Standard shock exhaust is not up swept, is longer and has larger crossover dimensions.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

different length studs in the heads too ... Standard 25mm ... Special 15mm. .... flanges are different. However, you might be able to trade with someone for the right stuff for your SF.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Boy! I wish someone would have told me it couldn't be done, stupid me, I did the it, and didn't even know it couldn't be done.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

Don'tcha hate that?

Well, now ya gotta take em back off 'cause they don't fit.

Comment

Standard pipes and mufflers will go on a Special because the Standard's mufflers hang down lower. You may need to fab up a longer mount strap from the muffler hanger to the muffler.

Going the other way can be a real pain. The 4:1 may not be a simple bolt on to the 'E' model. I would expect the 'E' muffler hanger to be in the way.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

I can't see whats so hard about putting Special pipes on a standard. See! It can be done, and it isn't that hard.
              Fastmover
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

Wa407 ...

looks like the bike you mentioned in another exhaust related question that I posted a while back regarding fryin' that set of bags with the shorter SF exhaust system. Great lookin' bike and thx for the pics. Mine is all hooked up now ... couple more days and it'll on the road again.
                80G Mini-bagger
                VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

That is a good looking paint scheme, fastmover. A real classic look. Nice.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

thanks!

I can't take credit for the paint scheme, the PO owned a paint shop. He repainted it soon after he picked it up from the dealer. It is getting dinged up quite a bit now, but I plan on redoing the whole bike starting this fall, I was going to do it this winter, but we bought a new house this fall. So I lost my shop and haven't found a new one to buy or rent yet, and there's no room at the new place to build one.
                    Fastmover
                    lion". SHL
                    78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                    X