Engine bearing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tod,

I have the Clymer manual and I'm going by figure 100 on page 86. That is how I have measured for my replacement bearings. I also have a Yamaha service manual for my XJ and it is the same almost word for word. It would appear from both that the number you subtract from is the first number or the number on the upper half of the con rod.

I hope I'm explaining that right.
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

You're explaining it fine, I'm just wondering if I'm not?? It makes me wonder if they kind of split the diffference for some reason and used a green bearing on half and a brown on the other half? I've always only seen a single number stamped there, so that's where the confusion is coming from.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Those numbers don't look right??? Any chance that the rods are original and the caps are from another engine? Caps are interchangeable and if these are not the original caps I would use the numbers that are on the rods.
        I really can't see them "splitting" the difference from the factory.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The rods and caps are a set. The "H" between the 4 and 5 is stamped onto the joint between the numbers, and they all line up and continue from the cap to the rod.

I'll probably leave these rod bearings alone and just replace the crank ones. I'm glad to see that it doesn't make sense to someone else.. lol.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

If your crank bearings are at the limit it is very likely that the con bearings are also ready to be changed out as well. It would be a shame to change out the crank bearings and leave the cons in there while the engine is opened. Is there anything about it in Yamaha's tech releases? Perhaps the thing to do is go with which ever numbers give the tighter fit. and check with the plastic gauges.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I don't know about the tech releases, but it's not a bad idea about installing and checking with a plastigauge... I just don't have a whole set and would have to order what I need. As high as they are, there's no way to justify ordering two of them.

I have a couple calls in to local Yammy mechanics and am waiting to hear something back from them. I will also take a couple rods off tonight and see if by chance I can see any color on the bearings. I'll plastigauge them also to see where they stand.

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Customer Relations (800) 962-7926

Yamaha...
                I'd call and ask.
                Or they may be able to tell you who to call.

I've seen 3H5 on the top of pistons
                but don't remmeber what your showing on the rods.

mro

Comment

Yup, the 3H5 is for the later model pistons. You'll see that on the cams too. I will call that number and see if they can tell me anything. No one has called back from the other two places. Thanks for the number.

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

No answers through customer relations... they revert you back to the dealers for questions like this. Thanks though.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

Hi Guys,

we recently beat this question to death on the UK site, and had the different colours of shells properly measured.

The basic conclusion was that the shells are different by such small amounts that once the motor has turned over, the colour system is meaningless.

If the shells are worn enough to need replaced, just fit the heaviest (least clearance!) shells you can find........ they WILL NOT be too tight (although plastigauge won't hurt!)

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Thanks Alan.

Just thinking about it, it would seem that you are more or less using your crank for a grindstone to cut the bearing to proper thickness if you were to go to the thickest one.

Each bearing size is .0010" (.25mm) larger. This doesn't seem like a lot, but the correct clearances are to be .0017" to .0025". I am on the high end.. somewhere on the .0022-.0025 range I believe. If I were to put on a bearing 2 sizes larger, it would effectively close my gap completely and leave no room for oil, or the cap bolts couldn't be torqued properly. You'd be smashing bearing together instead of rod and caps. It would seem that after the bearing wore to where it needed to be in this case, the bolts wouldn't be tight enough any more?

That's the way it would seem to me anyway.... Feel free to point and laugh at my reasoning!

I just plastigauged the conrods. Something has FINALLY gone my way with this thing. They look new and measured almost too tight! Close to .0015". So they are staying and the crank bearings are going.

Tod
                        Last edited by trbig; 03-21-2008, 05:26 PM.

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

Hi Trbig,

Here is a chart of bearing sizes borrowed from the Yam triples site;

That gives the shell sizes as 1.5mm, plus or minus a tolerance. Those sizes are quoted in thousandths of a MILLIMETRE..... not thousandths of an inch!

The differences between shell sizes are around four thousandths of a mm........ One mm is around 42 thousandths", so that makes the differences between shell sizes less than a fifth of one thousandth of an inch......... Like I said; too small to matter!

AlanB
                          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

I don't think that's right. I may be really wrong, but every bit of info and on every parts list I have seen to this point says that the bearings are graduated in .25mm increments. That comes to just under .001 inches. That's why if you were getting out of spec at .0025", the next size bearing would close it up .001 of an inch and get you back in spec... actually just a touch tight.

It seems to me that someone's math is wrong. With an accepted rate of .0017-.0025 inches for spec in the book, you could never make up for bearing or crank wear according to that chart. It just doesn't make any sense?

Anyone have any new bearings they could mic to verify this?

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                              Each bearing size is .0010" (.25mm) larger.
                              Quick metric correction - 0.0010" = .0254mm
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Hmmmm... which would make about 10 times too much, huh? lol.

I don't know then. Thanks for pointing out my math error Ken.

So according to that... everyone should just throw yellow bearings in everything and be done? No measuring involved? It just seems to me that those little guys in white coats thought all this through better than that. (No, not the ones that are coming to take me away)

Tod

Current bikes:
                                '06 Suzuki DR650
                                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                                '81 XS1100 Special
                                '81 YZ250
                                '80 XS850 Special
                                '80 XR100

Comment

Working...
                                X