Engine Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Guards

I pulled these engine guards from the motorcycle dump. They need to attach to the long bolt that goes all the way through the engine. The bolt is not long enough. Do I need to go get the long bolt from the parts bike? Or is there something Im missing?

Picture
    Getty

1980 SG

My engine guards bolt to the frame not the engine, that way you only need two longer short bolts, which are easier to come by.
    Tom
    1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
    1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
    1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
    1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

I was not searching the with the right keywords.

Looks like ace might have a bolt or use all thread.
      Getty

1980 SG

Comment

I used all-thread on my LG. My E had the long bolt be longenough.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Yeah, some of the crash bar kits used to come with a longer engine mount bolt. There is an alternative that I did for years... You can use a length of all-thread bar. That stuff is strong, stainless steel, and you can cut it to size. You can use buddy-nuts on the ends to keep it from unscrewing. The really good thing about it is that you can take the nuts off of either end if you need to remove a crash bar for maintenance. I worroried that I would never get it back out because of impressions in the motormount rubber, but it came right out. I relaced mine with a real bolt when I got new crash bars with the bolt in the kit...
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I had 3/8 allthread in the garage. Put it on with some stainless lock nuts. Drove it down to ace and found a 3/8 12" bolt (no metric available). $1.49. Went that route cause you guys seem to worry about the allthread.
            Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
            X