What a Great Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a Great Bike

I have to say I really enjoy working on this motorcycle. The final drive gave me some headaches. But, after changing middle gear oil, final drive oil, and greasing all the gears, it really drives/SHIFTS much better.

Thank you xs11 forum and all the people who frequent it. Without you this maintenance/repair process would take much longer, if it could happen at all. After all, I am a sound and lighting guy, not a mechanic.

So far I have.
    1. Done the brakes (Stuck / hard to roll)
    2. Cleaned the carbs (they were bad)
    3. Fork seals/progressive springs (Both leaked)
    4. Greased final drive (I asked for this one)
    5. Changed all oil (Basic)
    6. Lubed electrical system. (Darn water)

I still need to fix a few things before she is complete.
    1. Repair oil leak from cam chain adjuster. (Rubber center is leaking. Great threads on this one.)
    2. Steering bearings need repair. On centerstand, when turning it is bumpy/jumpy.

Off to repair leak. Im going to put off the steering for awhile. Untill it pisses me off that I cant hold a straight line at slow speeds 5-40mph. Must need bearings and a good cleaning/greasing.
    Getty

1980 SG

Hey Getty,

Mine sat outside for about 9 years rusting and corroding.....oh the shame , and the grease in the steering head bearings had gotten all gummed and hardened, and was very rickety in it's action. I pulled it apart, removed the bearings, soaked in carb cleaner, and then dried, and repacked with fresh grease along with cleaning the races, and put it all back together, and it was as smooth as glass! So...if the bike had been sitting for quite a while before you got ahold of it, you might try that first, could save you some $$ in not having to replace the bearings/races!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi T.C.,

I will take your word for it. The steering should clean up.

I just realized that rtv takes 24 hours to fully cure (cam chain leak repair). I have to do a bunch of miles tommorow. Was hoping to get some good gas milage on the bike. O'well, i should work on the steering first anyway.

Looking forward to driving in a nice straight line and not leaking this weekend.
      Getty

1980 SG

Comment

What a Great Bike

Yes they are!

After 29 years there has been absolutely nothing that has gone wrong on my machine that I did not cause myself. I am looking forward to another 30 years.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
        X