Tranny fix supply list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny fix supply list?

Could any of you veteran XS'ers make me a list of things I need to have on hand to renew my tranny? I want to tackle it this weekend, and parts are hard to come by on Sundays.I hope it's not as daunting as the post looks. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never done any transmission work before.
    Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jim

Jim,
    I'm not that much of a "veteran" on these bikes but I have done the transmission repair. Other than the dremel bits I don't think you'll know what else you will need until you get in there. On mine my #1 shift fork was shot so the bike sat until a fellow lister sent me a spare he had. Other parts might be the side cover gasket? I made one from gasket material. Other than that maybe the washer that holds the clutch basket nut. I just reused the one that was on there but I'm sure there's a manual somewhere that says don't. Not that big of a deal doing it.(now that I'm done) Pay attention to how flush the clutch basket nut is to the end of the spindle (pic #11 in the repair section)and how close the gear is to the clutch basket on the upper right side of the engine. (There is also a picture in the repair section where the torque wrench is in on the clutch basket nut. Just a couple of items I've seen posted about in the last few months.
    HTH
    KW
    1982 XJ1100J
    1980 XS850SG

Comment

An excellent resource is Ken Talbot's off-site tech Tips page at: http://www.rctvonline.net/~xs11/

Note the Parts List entry:
      http://www.rctvonline.net/~xs11/seco...addendum9.html

I would read all of the 2nd gear notes before you start the repair.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Good job at catching that parts list there, Jerry...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Still wondering

Am I to assume if all goes well all I need is a set of grinding bits for my dremel and some gasket sealant? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks-
          Jim

Comment

I'd say yes. (Sunny and warm in my neck of the woods today. Got a 20 min.
            "maintenance" run in today)
            KW
            1982 XJ1100J
            1980 XS850SG

Comment

Hi Briggs,

"If all goes well"...... you should be OK, but if you (or the PO!) has tried to hold it into gear as it jumps out, the selector fork will be trashed. You cannot know for sure until you get in there.

Some only need the "washer fix"..... some need selector forks, rods and even drums....... "Strip and inspect" is the only good answer.

You really don't want to have to go in twice!

Hope you are lucky.

AlanB
              If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hey Jim,

I had used the chain saw grinding bits for the dremel repair. They are available for the dremel. I got the idea from T.C. I read it on one of his treads but for the life of me I can't remeber which one it was. But I can tell you it worked great for me. You may want to buy a few of them though as if you slip up and they bite the wrong way they tend to bend. But at 15,000 rpm's things can get crazy.
                Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Your turn

I have just put the clutch cover back on and am finishing up the tranny job. I found it frustrating when putting the shift forks back in but they finally went in. The best advice I can give you is to print out the tranny fix pages and follow them. look closely at the pictures and take your time. Good luck
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Thanks everybody

Just want to thank everyone...very very cool. I realize not everything can be predicted in this kind of repair..just wanted to make sure I had the basics to fix it in one go if at all possible...wouldn't be quite normal for me, seems like I always have the exception to the rule! I was so disappointed when I found out of my tranny woes. My Harley buddies at work were really giving me a hard time about the piece of "Jap crap" I'd been a fool to buy. I'd love to get her trimmed up and sorted before the really decent weather shows up in South Dakota! I've owned many HD's and never understood the myopia of the "Harley er' nuthin' " mentality. Almost all of these diehards started out on Yamaha, Suzuki,Kawasaki or Honda...or the more obscure brands providing smaller bikes. I don't know anyone that rides HD today that learned on a Sporty or Shovel. Face it they were cumbersome difficult bikes to learn on. That being said-why do SOME HD riders become so snooty? My one buddy is so "Dyed in the wool" Harley , I kidded him "I suppose I can't ride with you now" to which he replied " I don't care if you ride with me....You just can't park by me"....and he is serious. Sorry about the rant, and thanks again to all who took the time to help.
                    Jim

Comment

Think he has issues now? Wait till you get her runnin and smoke his ass on the street and he has to park away from you becase you got there first
                      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

Yeah I'd have to agree with dpotter58. I'd just turn the tables on him. Tell him the loser buy's lunch and a beer. Then you could also ask him what he wants for lunch, that way you could have it ordered for him by the time he get's there.
                        Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                        87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                        93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                        71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                        69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Re: Thanks everybody

The thunderin' herd takes in another sheep! It can get real Freudian! Best thing is to laugh it off...
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                          X