Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the engine's ideal running temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the engine's ideal running temperature?

Hi,
    I'm installing TC's SOFCA and an oil cooler. The cooler I'm buying comes with the BP-180 THERMOSTIC BYPASS VALVE. I live in So. FL and typically when it gets real cold (oxymoron there) I don't ride. But I'm wondering if I should just forgo the valve altogether and install straight lines. I'm trying to extend engine life and keep my legs from cooking. They're ugly enough already. On long rides I wear full-face helmet, jeans, armored mesh jacket, short riding boots, and mesh gloves. But, I admit to going on frequent jaunts with nothing more than shorts, t-shirt and sneakers!!!
    That's when the legs really feel it.
    Any specs on that?
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Hi Cobia,
    the thermostat is there so the bike can warm up to it's optimum running temperature as quick as possible. Running too cold is bad for them too.
    As for swanning around on your bike (helmet or no) in shorts, sneakers & T-shirt, , riding bandy-legged will keep your ugly legs from cooking but you won't even notice that for the all over road rash when you fall off.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Temperature

Hi Fred,
      Yes, I realize that they have an optimal running temperature and that running cold or too hot will cause excessive wear on the engine. The purpose in asking the question is to find out what that temp range is. Hopefully from a knowlegeable source(s).

I guess since they make the valves for the XS systems so they open at 180, that must be the lower end of the range. I wonder what the upper end of the ranger is?

As for the shorts and t-shirt..... I expected to get some flak for it but it sure feels good. Just being honest, you know.

Thanks Fred
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

hi cobia my head temp runs at around 350deg. but i'm not sure if this is normal only had the bike 1 month. oil temp around 200-220deg.
        JOHN'O
        Xs1100E 1978
        American Import Cruiser

Comment

Temps

Thanks John'O,

I took a look at the pics for your bike, nice ride.
          Noticed all the gauges in your fairing, you seem to monitor as much as possible. I bet the XSs that have to push all the full dresser equipment have to work harder and thus run hotter. Still, the temps you report seem to be in a normal range.

Thanks again for the info.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

The ideal temp, for oil is between 160 and 180deg hence the setting on that control valve.

Many racers will not race if the oil is not at 160 degrees.

That valve you have is a thermostat, just like the one for the coolant on your car.

I have a B&M one on the tranny cooler on my Monte Carlo. It allowed me to put a larger cooler, for racing, yet not overcool if I drive it on the road in the colder times of the year, as, was stated above, too cold is bad too.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

shorts and tee

everyone rides in shorts and a tee now and then
              as ever bill
              bill hane

Comment

Not me, unless it's over 100F... and then I am more likely to take the AC'd car.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                X