Carb choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb choice

So i was wondering if there was a diffrence between 79 special carbs and the 82 XJ carbs that would be a better advantage for my bike?
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

It has been said that the 70's offer better performance. However, I think that I would disagree and say that they are more tunable. They have the adjustable slide needles unlike the 80's carbs. However, on a set that I redid recently, I found that at least on my bike, the '78 carbs didn't perform as well. They did have a smoother power curve than my 80's though. I think this is due to the sharing of fuel through the main jet for both pilot and main circuits. Unlike the 80's that have them completely separate. One MAJOR difference is the starter jets. 78s have a #40, 79s have a #35, and the 80's have 25s. I don't know why there is a difference, but my bike wouldn't ever fire on full choke with the 78's on there. I had to start it on half choke. I would say go with the carbs that match your bike 70s-70s, 80's to 80's.

Just my 2 cents
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I belive i have heard that before. Has anyone ever had trouble with the brass bolts on the bottom of the float bowls leaking?...I have one that is, i have tried to look for some new ones but havent found any.
      1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
      -Pod Filters
      -4-1 pipe
      -larger jets for carbs
      1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

I have seen some staining on the bolts/bowls at times.
        Should be an aluminum type washer there.
        Try taking the old washer, and resurfacing it on some fine grade sandpaper.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Tunable Needles

Tunable needles are available from Mike's XS. I believe the part number you require is #48-0663.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Working...
          X