Final Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive

I removed the final drive to give it a good grease. Well it didnt need any grease. It is packed full.

Guys, I am having trouble getting the shaft and final drive back in. Seems like the shaft will not go in straight. When I put it in it wants to be very low at the final drive end. I've done this before on a different bike. Didnt have any trouble like this. Is there a trick to reinstalling the final drive?
    Getty

1980 SG

Update

Seems like I can get the shaft in just a little. Can turn the middle drive in nuetral. But, doesnt seem like it goes in far enough.
    Getty

1980 SG

Comment

for me it was really hard to get my drive shaft in as well. i just replace mine about a week ago. the way i did it was to get an extra pair of hand and have one person pushing it down towards the knuckle while i pushed back the rubber boot and guided it in from that end. its was still very tricky and took a little time. once it was in, it was a very tight fit. i had to tap it lightly with a rubber mallet. it should go in about an inch or so. it should fit in the whole depth of teeth.
      79 standard
      kerker 4 to 1
      K & N drop in
      6K HID
      frame chopped with one of a kind seat
      may other upgrades....

Comment

Did you clean-up the radial gears? I had one one that had very old, hard, chunks of grease. I had to practically chizzle-it out with a screwdriver. Apply new grease of course!
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Not sure where the radial gear are located.

I tried again and cant get the shaft into the gear close to the middle drive. I pealed the boot back so I could stick my fingers in there. Looked through the tube and centered the u joint. That was tough. Still doesnt want to go in.

Oh, there are no old chunks. It is caked with good gooey thick grease. Good thing I was wearing my old black cloths. Next time I need a black cap to. I had grease everywhere.
          Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Getty,

IF you actually pulled the driveshaft out of the middle gear/u-joint assembly, then it just needs a good whacking once you are sure you have it lined up and fitting into the end of the u-joint assembly. Look closely at the end of the driveshaft where it fits into the u-joint and you will see a small compression ring around the spined section of the driveshaft, that is what is catching, so once you have the driveshaft into the u-joint up to that point, give it a little whack with a rubber/wooden mallet!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thank you!

The help you guys gave me was much needed. Once the shaft was lined up with the u joint... I held it there... Put a 2x4 on the end so it would hold it in place... 2 hard wacks... YES

This thing got the best of me. and the spring around the rubber boot was no easy task either. On to the next learning experience.
              Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
              X