Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facelift anyone?

OK, it is 2008.....some of us are 30! I'm still 29

Question, is anyone planning to do a 30-year facelift? You know, nothing too drastic but perhaps some updating, painting, etc. Tell us your plans.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Nope!

It took me 45 years to look this good!

Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

I'm only 28. No plans on doing anything other than riding. My bike is in very good shape so even when it hits 30, I'll just need some tires.
      1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

I just finished painting the side bags and trunk. Side bags were dark blue, bike is black, I painted the side covers and tank a couple years ago. Top of trunk was badly weather blistered. Haven't put it back together yet. Waiting for paint to fully cure.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I am in the process of getting preped for paint.....i am going to do it in a keiser gray, also i will be recessing a L.E.D. light bar into the seat cowl to iliminate the giant brake light under my grab bar. already did some new smaller turn signals and i will more than likely put the cafe' fairing back on.

cutting in for my brother (cloerts).. i am getting ready to prep his tank, fenders, and side covers to be painted viper red.
          1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs
          1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

Nope. Just gonna leave mine stock....
            1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
            dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
            MikesXs 35k Coils
            8mm plug wires
            42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
            (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
            Kerker 4-into-1
            Shaved emblems
            Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
            Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
            Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
            Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
            Custom Dual Headlights
            Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

Mine is already ready with a complete makeover :-)
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

my 7 yr old daughter wants me to paint flames on my tank. you gotta love a kid like that.
                79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Nope. Just gonna leave mine stock....
                  Very funny, Bubble.

My plans continue to evolve. However, hopefully by the time mine turns 30 I will have the $$ to do it. I will be powder coating pretty much everything black except the frame will be silver; motor (minus cover), wheels, and most misc. parts, painting the tank and side covers black. It will be some time though
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I had been working on my bike for a year now. Been to busy working on eveyone else's bike to get mine done. In fact it's still upside down from working on the trany. I had repainted the rear swing arm and painted the rear diff black as it looked funny silver with a black swing arm. Found a new back tire I got off ebay for 18 bucks. Got that on. Fixed all the holes in my exhaust. I hope I still need to replace my fork seals. Buy some new plugin's for the wires. I relined my tank and got it ready to paint but I haven't found a color yet. I also thought about looking for a special left side turn signal switch as I like the idea of having hazzard lights. I think it's cool. A lets see I need to replace my speedo and tach. Haven't decide yet if I want to paint the covers on those to match the bike or leave them black. I know there is more stuff I had forgot.

I just finished my brothers xs11. Had to do the trany fix on it. Fixed his exhaust. Lined his tank and painted it a jet black. He wants me to put red flakes on it but it looks so good black. Need to finish his seat cover. I had to do so much to his bike I can't remember. It was in storage for 7 years.

Don't know how much longer it will be to get mine finished, as I have to do a paint job on a Neon, finish up my four wheeler to have here on the farm. Start on fixing my road runner after my wreck and I'll have to have surgery sometime this year or next. So...

Maybe this year
                    Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                    87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                    93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                    71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                    69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject

Very funny, Bubble.

My plans continue to evolve. However, hopefully by the time mine turns 30 I will have the $$ to do it. I will be powder coating pretty much everything black except the frame will be silver; motor (minus cover), wheels, and most misc. parts, painting the tank and side covers black. It will be some time though
                      I just bought one thing at a time until I had stock-piled most of what I wanted. It also kept me off the wife's radar . I've owned the bike since summer 2006 and just now started riding it. At least you've already gotten to enjoy yours. With your powder coating I understand how that is an all-at-once type expense. I think yours will look great once you finish it though! Can't wait to see it.

Scott
                      1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
                      dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
                      MikesXs 35k Coils
                      8mm plug wires
                      42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
                      (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
                      Kerker 4-into-1
                      Shaved emblems
                      Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
                      Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
                      Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
                      Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
                      Custom Dual Headlights
                      Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

Sounds like some good ideas. I am planning a bit of a 30-year old facelift to do over next winter.

Most everything mechanical is in good shape on my machine so I plan to do some major refinishing including pulling the motor for a complete re-paint. While the head and cylinders are off I will inspect and freshen them up if needed.

Hmmm, this is starting to sound like more than just a facelift.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel
                          I also thought about looking for a special left side turn signal switch as I like the idea of having hazzard lights. I think it's cool.
                          Hey Cogs,

You can stop looking for the Special switch assembly, because it won't help to get you hazard flashers. There is additional wiring that was put on the 80/81 bikes with the Emergency Flashers, along with a second flasher relay. Take a look at the wiring diagrams for them and you'll see what I'm talking about! Sorry!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi T.C.

Yeah I knew about the extra wiring I'd have to do plus the extra flasher. That is the reason I'm thinking about it. That would be just one more thing I'd have to do. And I want to get it done like yesterday

I should have done it when I redone all my wiring. It would have been real easy to do then. I just didn't think about it till later.

But I guess it's not like I could do it later. It's just later may never happen. I just hate to tear things back a part once it's together.

I'll work till I get it done. I don't have to, I just want to
                            Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                            87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                            93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                            71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                            69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                            X