Could use some inspiration and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use some inspiration and ideas

Starting on the XS1100 on the 31rst of this month, going to put it on the bike stand and dig in!

Okay- I want it to be a bit "cafe' - but be good for two up- I plan on some bars I have laying around- swept back about 4 inches, but otherwise flat- they will look good- so I will probably need shorter cables- any help on this>

Am going to try to start it this next week or so, gonna soak in with some 3-1 or something to break it loose- it is a bit siezed right now.

The dude that bought this bike is a very good rider, no newb- but wants a bike with some "legs" and some "get up and go" as well, so, this is a good choice for a bike for him- will have a couple hundred mile range, is fast enough to keep up with the less noob groups pretty well I think.

So, pics for inspiration please? anyone? Ferris?

Oh man, that last pic is not the bike I am working on- that is one of the pics between me and my buddy that bought the XS1100 - labeled as "how about this"- he kinda liked that one- his XS is this one-

The main thing I am missing right now is a seat pan- the seat on this is totally gone- I will make a new one if I have too, but if anyone has one for sale- doesn't have to have a good seat on it- in fact, prefer it didn't - but I will be going through and through on this bike- two first parts I want to buy for him-

top end rebuild gasket set

fork seals

what is the best place for them fellas?

Comment

Pretty sure last gaket set I got was from bikebandit.
      Was not much more for complete kit too.
      Have fork seals there also.

mro

Comment

The Polaris bike dealer is Spokane Wa. used to have the equipment to build custom cables when they were a salvage yard, I think they were called All Sport. pm one of the guys here from that area and ask them to check for you.
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

I thought I was loosing my mind for a sec. That first pic is of my bike!!!
          FYI i reused the same stock cables when I put those bars on. Not really a big difference.
          Keep us posted on the build. PICS are always good
          "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
          "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
          79 XS1100 modified standard
          Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
          pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
          straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
          new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
          Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
          owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

This is what it ended up looking like

This close to what it looks like now

Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

"Ive always hated the gas tanks on these things."

Just looks out of place on a custom job.
              The way I figger it... It's got a single seat, no place for saddle bags... do I really need a tank with a 200 mile cruising radius?
              It's not like I'd take this bike cross country.

That one bike one E Bay a while back... the one with the welding tank or whatever for a fuel tank, contrary to popular opinion, intrigued me.
              A standard tank here just looks too standard.
              Need something radically different that reflects the radical-ness of the bike.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Nice- I think the tank is much more condusive to a cafe' racer, since it has knee cut outs and all that.

Comment

Personally I LOVE thes standard tanks. with the rest of the bike chopped down, it kinda looks like a badass doberman with its chest sticking out. I couldn't and dont see myself replacing it with a smaller one. Plus with my carbs performing the way they are, I NEED the extra gas. I think I am getting like 15 MPG

Also do a search for a user named xschop. he has some great custom ideas
                  Last edited by audijunky; 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM.
                  Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna

Comment

I agree with what you say about style, Audijunky...
                    But such a large tank, on a stripped down bike, makes it sort of lose it's streamlined look.
                    Everything you've done so far, changed or modified, has your hand in it, 'cept the tank. Still gives it that stock appearance. Detracts from the "originality" concept which is what you've built.
                    Yes, one has to figger in capacity vs mileage, etc., but in profile, the tank looks about the same size as the engine.
                    Now... this is just me, and though it's my place to tell people how to run their lives, it's not my place to tell people what to do with their bikes.
                    And, as I've not yet started my custom bike, I really should keep my pie hole shut, unless there's some pie lying about.
                    Most of the design I plan to do I already have in my bulbous head, except the tank. Haven't figger'd out yet what I'd like it to look like, I just know that it won't be stock.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If you want two-up capability, I'd try to source a stock '78 or '79 seat. If two-up were not an issue I like a road race seat. The late Bob Jones bikes are a good inspiration, but I like paint that is less busy.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

I agree Marty

This the seat I'm using on my build, it looks more cafe racer style thana duel seat would look.

Tom
                        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

TomB,

I like it! More inspiration for those who haven't visited: www.cb750cafe.com
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I sold a load of Dunstall stuff to Carpy, cost me a bleedin fortune to send it.

He does some good looking bikes
                            Tom
                            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Working...
                            X