Exhaust Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Paint

I realize this has been picked over already. Ive been doing this n that getting Bike ready for new season. Winters going on forever. Anyways my exhaust has seen better days (Kerker) has some rust. Quality Exhaust, so i want to be sure before I do anything. Got some high temp paint . Wonder what sort of prep or if its worth doing. Ive seen the high temp powder coating Very nice .Cost ? Im one of those guys who measures 3 times before he cuts. Any imput would be great.

header

I have a Kerker system on my 79 Std. I use a wire wheel on a drill to prep and then paint with high temp. black. Usually lasts a couple of years till I have to do it again. Those Kerkers seem to be pretty thick metal.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Up until I powder coated my Jardin 4:1, I had the best results with sanding the tubes with 100 grit to remove burned paint and rust. Then applying Krylon BBQ paint on the bare metal.

The problem I had with all spray paints is riding in the rain. The water would take the pain right off. I suspect some kind of steam action was going on.

Since I get caught in a good rain at least once a year, I ended up repainting the header yearly.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Exhaust paint

As far as sanding just enough for paint to stick? And do you wipe down with Acetone , before spraying. Did you you heat up pipes or just sunny day and throw on and run bike a while?

Comment

headers

I remove loose rust and paint and then blow off with compressed air. Then it depends on the hi-temp paint you are using. Some of them must be heat cured within a certain time, others don't. I find the 1200 degree ceramic works best, but has to be heat cured within 12 hrs. or so. Just bolt them on when dry and fire up the bike+ride. HTH.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

To get the best result with most any high temp paint, especially the ceramic coatings you should blast the pipes with 100 or 120 grit aluminum oxide. Aluminum oxide has an angular shape that will open up the grain of the metal for good paint adhesion. Glass bead and walnut shell is not very good since they will actually close the surface of the metal. Then, wipe down with acetone, laquer thinner, MEK or any non-petroleum based solvent. Do not touch the item after wipe down with your bare hands as even a fingerprint can cause paint uplifting. If done right with a quality high temp coating, it should last several years and actually prolong the life of your pipes.

If you are looking for that chrome-like finish, it is more expensive and harder to apply than ordinary high-temp paint or ceramic coatings. It must be baked on and has to be polished after baking to bring up the lustre.

Also, if your paint needs heat to cure, it can be done on the bike but you will get much better results if you bake it in the oven around 500 deg. for an hour (not your kitchen oven).
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
            X