xj-xs regulator blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj-xs regulator blues...

ok so i got the xs and xj regulator ready to swap... but the plugs are very different! they are almost opposite. the xs has the 3 white wires with a black one and a red one on one plug... and the brown, green, and black smaller wires on the other... the xj has two large red and two large black on one plug and 3 white with the green and brown on the other...

now should i pop out the wires from the plugs they are in and just run them the same or does the geen and brown from the xj need to be put in where the red and black are from the xs??? any tips?

thanks you guys are awesome!!!!!
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Hey Chris,

IIRC, Geezer said that the two regulators will work the same, just that Yamaha changed the plug shapes!!! So...I'm pretty sure you can swap the wires from the XJ's plugs and fit them into the proper XS plugs to get it to work!

Doing a search for regulator and geezer might reveal the threads with that info, but I think it was Tod/Trbig that needed to swap them on his halfbreeded XS/XJ machine, and that's what Geezer told him!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Ditto what TC wrote, the wire functions are all the same, only difference is where Yamaha landed them in the plugs.

Comment

well i got her running... i doubled up the red wires and the rest i just switched around...

after it warms up and i rev the eingine it goues up to between 13.8 and 14 volts.

next i am going to look and see how easy it will be to swap the engine case since the xj puts out more juice i have read.
        " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
        xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

next i am going to look and see how easy it will be to swap the engine case since the xj puts out more juice i have read.
          ?? But, you just got it running??

Oh, well. If you do the swap, you'll need to swap over the ignition TCI and the boost sensor. Others may know better, but I think the XJ engine needs it's XJ carbs 'cause of the YICS system?

Comment

Hey Randy,

I think Chris meant that he was going to try swapping the XJ ALT case and charging components, not the entire engine case!

Chris, along with the case components, you'll need to pull the flywheel parts as well, could be a bit bothersome? Good Luck.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Duh-uh!

Juice = Amps Doh!

So, just how much more juice does the XJ charging system put out vs. the XS?

Comment

reg

The green wire you don't need; Geezer says it's to the xj and I partially noticed that this wired goes to somewhere in the headlamp. Your xs should have a brown wire that will plug into the regulator/rectifier. Don't touch a red wire to a black wire!!![they are opposite charges]
                I removed all wires from their plugs and just went by the color code. You might see a red as well as a red/pink - I put my red wire into the red instead of the red/pink and mine started and runs fine.
                [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

The XJ is listed as 14V, 26 Amps at 5k rpm. It may happen a little earlier than that though if you have one of Geezer's Reg units.

I don't know what the XS is.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Re: reg

Originally posted by morticiaann
                    The green wire you don't need; Geezer says it's to the xj and I partially noticed that this wired goes to somewhere in the headlamp.
                    I think you misunderstood me. The green wire from the regulator to the field coil is important. The other wire to the field coil is power directly off the main switched power (brown) wire.

On the early XS750 there is an issue with the wiring of the reg/rec unit but it isn't worth talking about further here.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

xs-xj regulator blues...

*The green wire is a yellow wire on the Model E wiring diagram so I connected my generator's non-yellow wire to the ignition relay that is under the tank. I disonnected the white wire that went to the relay and sent that up to the two blue wires in the headlamp that go to the gas warning lamp.
                      *Also, I bought Geezer's regulator/rectifier and I couldn't get the big plug to match mine so I did each wire individually. I found a brown wire on my bike that had been cut and taped and matched it to the brown on the new regulator.
                      *The only other wire that didn't fit was a lead into the regulator/rectifier that is large gauge red with a pink wire fixed to it. I had a large gauge red wire in the headlamp and used that. When connected, you can see the 6 or 12 volts and with the engine running voltage goes up to about 14v as soon as you give it throttle.

{This information is for a 1981 xs1100sh.}
                      {The green wire running from the generator looks greenish-yellow and could be either color}
                      [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                      X