Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It has begun!! (MSD Ignition and Coil upgrade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has begun!! (MSD Ignition and Coil upgrade)

Well, I am officially underway as my 78 advance arrived the other day and my buddies KZ is officially road worthy (and quite fun). I have started taking pics, too.

But, before I post them I was wondering if the stock 4R0 iggy could hand running my MSD 2 ohm coils.

If it can't, no big deal. It would just be cool to test it out with just the coil upgrade and be able to compare that with the having them plus the new iggy in there.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

The 4RO is for the 3.9 OHM coils. If you get your hands on the ballast resistor from a '78/79, that will take care of the problem. You could also pick up two automotive resisters and go that way.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Well, it's not worth that much trouble. I just wanted to see how much difference a high end coil would make performance wise.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

See this thread

I upgraded to Dyna coils and noticed a difference. No hard numbers, just my "seat-o-the-pants" meter.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I upgraded to Dyna coils also a few years ago. There is a seat of the pants feel to them but I do not think that a better or more modern ignition is actually a power adder. What it does do is provide a more robust and perhaps longer spark event that will unlock some power that the weaker spark will leave unused. Still, I found them well worth the $.
          Mike Giroir
          79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
          X