Wiseco Pistons For 1311

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiseco Pistons For 1311

The block and sleeve portion of this project is a done deal and I have finally gotten a hard quote from Wiseco on the cost of the 78 mm special pistons which are as follows. $235.00 ea. for 4 pistons, $186.00 ea. for 8 pistons and $155.00 ea. for 12 pistons. The pistons come with rings, pins and pin locks and would be of the same design, dome volumn (6.6 cc's), wrist pin, skirt design, ring land and ring package as the current 1179/1196 off the shelve pistons. I thought that before I opt for pistons at $235.00 apiece I would find out if any other of the Eleven lovers of Channel 11 would be interested in purchasing a set of these pistons as it would obviously reduce the cost of the project. Special sleeves are required and the block must be bored to accomodate the larger diameter sleeves however with a 78 mm bore piston these sleeves would have a nominal wall thickness of .085 and the block itself would have .056 at it's thinnest point which is that portion between the cylinders/sleeves. The block can also be machined for the stock type "O" ring at the base of the sleeve however according to Mike at Advanced Sleeves this "O" ring is not necessary because the new aftermarket sleeves have a tighter interference fit than the stock sleeves. A special head gasket is also available from Cometic and the stock base gasket can be trimmed to work. This is basically a straight forward deal and were it not for the somewhat pricey pistons it would be a no brainer. If you are interested in purchasing a set of these trick pistons you can PM me or call Wiseco or Advanced Sleeves in Mentor, OH.
    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

You've got my attention that is for sure....
    I see the pistons as a piece of cake when the rest functions properly. Where do I get the sleeves and what are the costs, and what Cometic gasket are you talking about? How much will be the total costs for this setup?
    Then when all is assembled how about heat, does the engine operate at a normal temperature or will it seize eventually because it cannot get rid of the extra heat (loss of cooling).
    Sorry about all these questions, but if this is a fool proof combo I will be the first to buy them with you.
    XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
    MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
    Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
    Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
    Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
    Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

If you are resleeving it sounds like you're gonna have to bore out the aluminium block to take the new (bigger) sleeves.

If that's the case you may find sleeves from another bike will do the job, and will be a whole lot cheaper to buy a used block to remove sleeves from.

XJR1300 maybe, talking of which, would it not be possible to use pistons from another bike.

I've done a big bore job on a Honda this way in the past, compression can be sorted by skimming the head or thicker head gaskets.

Just a thought
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Heat issue

If heat becomes an issue because all the metal removed by machining depletes the heat sink capability of the cylinders, you all may want to look into some of the heat transferring coatings by TechLine. They have some pretty interesting lubrication and heat transferring coatings that can be applied to parts such as piston skirts, piston tops and inside cylinder heads, valves, etc. Most of the coatings are less than .001" after burnishing so no special machining is required.

Just a thought if heat is an issue.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

1311 kit

I would also be interested. May even sell my unopened 1199 kit as an incentive/motivator....Who would be doing block work as well . Maybe we could all get a discount on that end as well...heat issue is a little worry, but after I installed T.C.'s newer designed Oil cooler/ filter adapter last summer, I noticed it did run cooler....keep us posted
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I think if you are going to go that much bigger you should be looking at Heavy Duty Con Rods. This is the recommendation from hop up mags of the time.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

1311 Pistons

People have been building 1300 motors from 900 Kaw motors since the early 70's and you can do the same with the XS it's just a little more pricey because you have to get special pistons. I'm getting the sleeves and machine work done by Advance Sleeves in Mentor Ohio and you can contact them at 440-205-1056 for a price quote of course there are others around the country that can do this. If you go thru them (Advance Sleeves) for the parts and work they will obtain the one off head gasket that is needed for this combo and it is similiar to the one that comes with the 1179/1196 Wiseco kit except it is applicable for a 78 mm bore. Of course an XS engine of this size will generate more heat than a stock one will however you would not have a problem if you use an oil cooler however shrouding the engine with a fairing and side engine covers like some I have seen would probably not be kosher. There are several companies that will make special sleeves with Darton, Advanced Sleeves and LA Sleeves being three of the best ones however one can do what ever he wishes on this. I was inquiring if anyone was interested in buying a set of these pistons with me as the price gets cheaper the larger the order. I will be placing my order for these pistons in two weeks if anyone is interested.
              81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Working...
              X