bad relay problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oopss....
    " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
    xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
    8mm msd wires
    tkat fork brace...
    Fox shocks...
    mikes650 front fender
    led's gallore...
    renthal bars
    gold valve emulators
    vmax tensioner
    Rifle fairing

Comment

ok did that and i did not see a leak anywhere... and the bike would not start... so i switched the top brown and red wire on the fuse box back and now i have power to the bike again and it'll start but it runns like poo. also the clicking starts as soon as you plug in the battery. however... the light does not come on until you turn the key on
      i asked about a lighting switch that my 79 special had and my 82 xj has but no one has told me if there is one there? i didn't see one. also is there another main fuse to the bike? i only see 5 i think maybe more of the fuse box is jacked but i am not sure...
      thanks for the help!
      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
      8mm msd wires
      tkat fork brace...
      Fox shocks...
      mikes650 front fender
      led's gallore...
      renthal bars
      gold valve emulators
      vmax tensioner
      Rifle fairing

Comment

ok i may be a little closer now to figureing this out! thanks yall have helped tremendously... i did find the headlight switch that turns it on when running and was ok. the relay has been my go by as well as i set up the volt meter like randy said. as soon as i unplugged the big connecter to the regulator the voltage dropped. i thin left it unplugged. next i took a peice of wire made a connection between each post 1 at a time until i found the one with current. the red one was hot. is this one supposed to be hot? if so then i'll have to rethink things again... i unpluged the other connector and it didn't change the drain.\

oh and the fuse box was right to begin with. he just switched the main fuse with the next one over, so he didn't just switch the top two but he also switched the bottom two.

one thing i forgot... the po also had a relay bolted under were the horn goes??? he had a green wire running up towards the headlight bucket. this was not connected. he had a positive wire going to the pos battery terminal. and one of the horn wires was connected to this and one was tapped off i think? what do yall think he was up to??? he did say to me before i bought it that he had a round universal light hooked to it because he was going to make it a rat bike...??? i can't remember how he had it hooked up??? he might have had both horn buttons going to it??? bur it is a 4 wire relay it has a yellow hooked to itself and then 4 posts .
        should i try to reconnect this?

thanks for the tips!!!!! i have also been doing alot of searching and reading on here but there are sooo many posts and i havent found the secret just yet...

79 xs11 standard
        8mm msd wires
        tkat fork brace...
        Fox shocks...
        mikes650 front fender
        led's gallore...
        renthal bars
        gold valve emulators
        vmax tensioner
        Rifle fairing

Comment

ok... next update... i unplugged the regulator rectifier... i finallky found a similar prob. in a post but they never wrote the outcome of whether it worked or not... must have worked because that was all to the post. anyway i did a search on "regulator hot wire"
          and it was the post with 10 replies...???

anyway they described the continuity test... well i could get jack with the positive on red and the neg's on any of the whites...
          now when i put neg meter on red from bike and red from meter on whites i got 59 something for one 66 for another and i think 10 for the last one...??? that's bad right? after typing this i forgot what happened when i did the black wire??? but i think it didn't work right either... well i have a spare regulator right next to that one in the xj... should i chance hooking it up or does it sound like more problems? also i forgot to mention it too but i think i forgot to unhook the battery after it drained and i tried to charge it??? was that bad i know i have done that on some bikes with no probs but i have heard it can cause problems???

thanks for the tips!

79 xs11 standard
          8mm msd wires
          tkat fork brace...
          Fox shocks...
          mikes650 front fender
          led's gallore...
          renthal bars
          gold valve emulators
          vmax tensioner
          Rifle fairing

Comment

Good. You're getting close. I'm interested in the regulator testing because I have a feeling that it has a problem.

Connect the battery normally. Set up your meter for a straight 12VDC test and re-connect the large regulator plug.

Now connect the black meter lead to frame ground and probe with the meter's red lead on each of the three white wires. If one of them had voltage - there is your problem.

My theory is that the regulator has an internal short to one of the whites. If that's true, then that is how the juice is getting to the headlight relay - through the alternator stator!

BTW, the red at the regulator should be hot even with the key off.

Comment

ok...
              with the key off. the batt hooked up normaly and the black moeter wire on battery ground. i then put the read meter wire into the white wires one at a time and all 3 showed 12 volts... sounds like it's fried i guess luckily i can put on the one from the xj i havent looked at the connectors on it but i am sure they are the same. i just want to make sure nothing else is wrong so i don't blow another rectifier...

hopefully it had something to do with trying to charge it while hooked up. i normally don't do that but i was in a rush and didn't unhook the battery first...

79 xs11 standard
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

ok so i got the xs and xj regulator ready to swap... but the plugs are very different! they are almost opposite. the xs has the 3 white wires with a black one and a red one on one plug... and the brown, green, and black smaller wireson the other... the xj has two large red and two large black on one plug and 3 white with the green and brown on the other...

now should i pop out the wires from the plugs they are in and just run them the same or does the geen and brown from the xj need to be put in where the red and black are from the xs??? any tips?

79 xs11 standard
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                X