Photo of the tourer(hopefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motoman
    Interesting thing I noticed was after putting the NOS left side exhaust on, which is new from head to end, that performance and mileage came up plus it sounds like it did when I bought bike new. At same cruising speeds on same Interstate is how I did the comparison test. With the 4" taller windshield than stock I had lost about 2 of those miles per gallon, but gained it back after replacing that left side system. I seem to remember back in the day when speed limit was 55, riding two up and running 60mph for the most part, the best it did was 48mpg. Seems anything avove 60-65mph fuel consumption starts dropping off, looks to be about 2-4mpg for every 5mph above 60. Don't much pay attention to that and ride it 75-80 on any interstate anyways. With the 6.5 gallon tank and good riding conditions it's good for around 200miles before reserve, plus my backside is ready for a break anyways. That seems to be true no matter what the seat is, even if it's for 5min. They all feel like a board after 200 miles. Would say my Honda ST1100 is an exception to that with all the farkles as I can run a tank through(approx.300miles) before stopping if needed be.
    +1 on the Honda ST1100...but you aint comfy til you have the stock seat "Spencerized"...I had mine done iwth the LD mods and lowered 1"...all day comfort good for 500+miles/day..and going and going..........Motoman you have great resolution of you camera!I'd be interested in seeing some more pics at different angles gosh just love pics...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Gorgeous bike, Moto !! I'm fixin' to make one of mine a bagger too ..... hope it looks as good as yours when I'm done with it.
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Madmax.......it's just one of the shirt-pocket sized 5pix Nikons, nothing fancy. Not into the gadget thingies, the simpler the better for me. Only took me a year to figure out how to do pics on here, even then had to have my wife of six months lead me through it to make it happen........if it don't go Vrooooom....Vrooooom it's out of my league. About the other, those comfort farkles do include a Corbin seat and Rackman Hwy. Wings. Even though the XS doesn't get the 48-52mpg@80-90mph like the other one, it still is the XSeesive ride, specially with the bottom end 'grunt' that let's it hang with a CBR Blackbird for a block from a 5mph rolling start. Now that is XSeesive for a 680lb., 27yr. old 'sport tourer'.............and respectable I might add! In my book, the XSeeesive 11 is still the ultimate classic ride...........timeless! With some help, see what I can do popping up a couple more pics and downsizing them a bit. Remember, electronic-gizzmo challanged.........not Vrooooom.......Vrooooom challanged.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi motoman, looking very good.
          My 81SH has gold tops too.
          I just might put the bags and trunk on the Mirriam if it will look as nice as your Bentley

mro

Comment

Thanks mro and all the rest for the comments & input! Never expected a response like this. Was just hoping I could finially figure out how to do pics here, as others here make it seem like second nature. Over a year ago or so, Ken T. told me to send him pics and he would post for me. All the folks here are always very helpful with no ridicule no matter what area we are challanged in! I'm sure some of us, have had to 'bite our tounge' on occasion, including myself with some of the nature of the inquisitive threads posted, but I just have to remember that not all here are as mechanically inclined as others........same as my frustration with alot of times being computer challanged all the while thinking others here could do what I'm trying to figure out in a heartbeat. Same difference, just different area of expertise. That's part of what makes a site like this so great is there seems to be someone here no matter what the subject that can give helpful 'how to fix' or diagnoses and solve most anything that is thrown at the different forums..........the only dumb question is the one never asked. A big Thanks to all here!.............Brant.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ok now I got it...

Hey Brant didnt know you were motoman even after the "hint" abt owning that "other" bike.I have always loved riding my Maxim XJ1100.I've had it 25 years this month...bought it as a leftover in '83..saw it being uncrated as well...It has always been with me while other bikes have come and gone...one of those gone ...an'80 XS11...was one I missed so the urge to get another XS eventually came up ofc you know the rest...the venerable XS/XJ1100s' some of the most amazing bikes of our time.
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

That they are..........and still... Oh, and red is the fast one, right? Guess you need to keep an eye out for an 81SH to go with that "other" one.

Comment

That tourer certainly looks awesome.
                  Congrats for finding and fitting all the components in a very classy and classic way.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                  Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                  Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman
                    That they are..........and still... Oh, and red is the fast one, right? Guess you need to keep an eye out for an 81SH to go with that "other" one.
                    Ya mean like this one??? actually when it comes to which color is fastest Black is the fastest in regards to XS/XJ1100s'..when it comes to those other bikes...Pure Pearl Red......BCNU
                    Last edited by madmax-im; 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM.
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thanks Cobia.............. Didn't have to do much of anything as that is the way the Standard came in 81 when I bought this new.

Comment

Working...
                      X