Running Lights / Radio / Fairing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Lights / Radio / Fairing

After some good checking with a 12v power supply All of the electrical components on the fairing are in good working condition and labeled.

The bike head light has three positive bullets ready to be connected.

1. Always on
    2. On after key turned
    3. On after bike starts

Where should the radio and running lights connect to? 2 or 3?

The bullets / butt connectors seem to be a bit smaller than the ones supplied at the auto store. Is there a secret to finding the right bullet? Or do I need to change them all out for easy fairing removal and installation.
    Getty

1980 SG

Bullet connectors from auto store work just fine. Appears that I had a bent one that wouldnt fit.

I think the radio goes to the allways on. Not sure if I like that. And the running lights go to the positive that turns on after bike starts. Is this correct?
    Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Hey Getty,

Usually the HEADLIGHT would be linked to the on after bike starts, that way you don't have the big drain of the headlight already being on while trying to start/crank the engine over, that's how it's wired on most of the XS's! The running lights come on once you turn the key on. The always hot is your choice if you even want to connect something to it that might get left on accidentally and drain your battery!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Radios with a digital display and pushbutton memory require an always on to remember the stations and clock. It is usually a green wire fromk the radio. The red or orange (radio hot wire) should be connected to on with switch, in case you forget to turn off the radio. Some makers use different color codes, you can usually find the mfgs web site and get a wiring color code. Just type the mfg in a search engine and hunt thru the replies.
        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
        79 F (Blueballs)
        79 SF (Redbutt)
        81 LH (organ donor)
        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
        rover has spoken

Comment

I understand radios. Own a 32 cabinet concert sound system. So I understand memory (hot allways on). Appreciate the input!!! The radio is an old shaft style tape deck (no memory). Working on an aux input soldered directly to volume circuit board. I want my MP3 player hooked up! And im just the guy to make it happen.

Its the running lights that I wonder about. Not sure how much wattage can be connected to my - On after bike starts - I dont want to burn out the stator.

I dont understand what component in the system triggers the -on after bike starts.

It sounds like the running lights should be connected to - Keyed On . So thats the way Im going to hook them up.
          Last edited by Getty; 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM.
          Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Hey Getty,

Are you talking about Driving lights, or just the yellow front running lights of the fairing??

The standards came with front running lights, same stator/charging system.

There is a diode on one of the white wires off the alt circuit, that sends direct current to the headlight relay, latching it when the bikes running, causing the headlights to work.

Yes, the XS11's charging system is weak, the AUX terminal next to the fuse block is mentioned in the manual for about 50 watts, draw. Power can be saved by doing an LED conversion, see the tech tips!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

radio power

I think I've said this before, but I'll post it again. You don't want to connect the radio to the rest of the bikes electrics, use a piece of shielded auto antenna cable directly from the battery to the fairing, from there go to both hot leads on the radio and use the ground on the antenna cable back to the battery. this way you isolate the radio from the electrical interference of the rest of the bike. While you are doing this install an off/on switch on the handle bar to control the non memory lead to the radio, so you can turn it off without , without having to reach to the fairing and mess with the radio cover on the road or when parking the bike. You can get a radio cover from a boat shop, and a hobby box for the switch at Radio Shack, and make a bracket to fit under the left side mirror stalk, which places the switch next to the left hand controls.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

Im asking about the yellow front running lights of the fairing.
                Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Working...
                X