Grease on final drive shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease on final drive shield

Just recently, the plastic shield between the final drive and the wheel on my '80G is showing a small build up of grease. Two years ago, I completely disassembled the rear end and re-packed it with good quality grease. Never has a problem 'till now. I re-checked all of my torque settings on associated nuts and bolts and all seems fine. Also, I cant see any leaking from the middle gear area. any ideas?

Thanks Gang!

Floyd

Rear grease

By the way, the bike has 20,000 miles on it.

Floyd

Comment

Uh...

The rear drive is supposed to be filled with 80/90 wt gear oil, not grease!

Comment

Floyd, I hope you mean you repacked the final drive-rear wheel splines, and the final drive-drive shaft splines with grease, and that you still have gear oil in the final drive itself.

That said, it is pretty normal to get some of the grease from the final drive-rear wheel splines squeezing out and building up on the inside of the plastic collar. That's actually what that collar is for.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Way to go Randy, you type up a short and fast reply while I'm trying to compose something more elaborate..
          Ken Talbot

Comment

"Grease stain be normal."

It's just the extra grease from the wheel/final drive mating surface.
            As the wheel spins, the centrifugal force flings the grease outward along the grease shield. Like Ken stated, that's what it's for.
            Over time, the grease then creeps slowly along the shield out toward the edge.
            Having a dirt and grease encrusted rear end isn't a problem... unless it becomes an issue with the person who does your laundry.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Rear end grease

Ya guys. I meant the meshing gears that are not really greased through the grease fitting. Loaded it with recommended grease. I have always use hypoid 80/90 in the middle and final drives. The dirty grease deposit i am referring to is on the outside of the plastic shield, on top. Middle & final drives are topped off and stay that way. Someone told me there is a o-ring or something between the axle and the rear wheel. Again, the grease is appearing on the outside of the shield. This just started happening 500 miles ago on a 20,000 mile bike. I am a bit anal and don't mind cleaning the shield but "Dam it JIM, where is the grease coming from and will my rear end lock up?"

Thanks Crew!

Floyd '80G

Comment

"A photo would be nice."

We are referring to the greasy inner side of the shield, as this is common.
                You state that the grease is on the "outside" of the shield"... and "at the top"? That's odd.
                A few thoughts....
                Is this "gease"... or 80/90w gear lube?
                You also state...
                Middle & final drives are topped off and stay that way
                What do you mean by topped off? On some bikes, one fills the final drive with lube up to the filler hole. This is not done on our bikes. There is a measuring tool used when filling the final(and middle) drives to the proper level... which is some distance below the filler hole.
                My question is.... is this a large oil stain? Is it a "wet stain"?
                You also state that this oil stain is "on the top of the shield".
                Oil usually drips downward...
                If the final drive was overfilled... lube would come spraying out the vent (which is at the top of the final drive) and spray onto the top of the shield. Could this be your problem?
                That you messed with things two years ago... and the problem only starts now is also interesting.
                Any chance of a picture of this?

As for locking up.. I wouldn't think so... not unless you're getting puddles of oil/grease under the final drive when you park.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                X