Timing cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing cover?

Hi !!! I just got my 1981 xs1100 yesterday-too cool. I got it running after some fiddling , but notice the cam chain making a little racket. since I don't have a Clymers yet -I was wondering...could someone tell me the location of the cover I need to look under to line up the marks to adjust the cam chain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to you guys I convinced myself to buy this neglected jewel- Thanks, Jim
    Jim

Left side

mro
    BTW, welcome to XSland

Comment

As you sit on the bike, it's on the left side marked Yamaha. Four 5mm allen screws. The timing plate under it to spin the crank uses a 19mm wrench.

Be easy about re-tightening the set screw and nut on the adjuster. They are easy to strip out. The nut holds the screw in place, so no big torques are required. I think the torque is 4 ft. pounds on the screw and just 6.5 on the nut.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

BTW,
        held on by four alan head bolts
        lower left where you would expect the crank shaft to be on that side.

mro

Comment

Hi Briggs,

When you are tensioning the chain, Remember that the XS11 engine turnd "BACKWARD"...... the opposite direction from (almost?) every other bike engine; the engine turns clockwise as you look under that left-hand cover; the "Tight" run of the chain is at the back, the tensioner leans on the "slack" side of the chain at the front.

AlanB
          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hey Briggs,

Congrats on your new acquisition.

NOW STOP, and take some time, few hours, few days, and READ the tech tips scrolling down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, there are new ones that are NOT linked to from the left column!

These machines are fairly bullet proof, but if you don't adjust certain things right, you can cause severe damage to occur very quickly....like the cam chain slipping teeth, causing bent valves requiring a valve/head job, etc.!!!

Check out the MISC forum, for what to look for in a neglected XS11, so you can see what ALL you will need to do to get it truly road worthy!!!

Welcome, and hope we don't see you too often in here, you want to be riding not wrenching, but good wrenching first will let you ride much longer!!!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X