New owner and a couple of Questons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New owner and a couple of Questons

Hey all, just found your awesome site. I got a 79 xs1100 custom last night. It's in good shape 45,000 miles and has a bad 1st and 2nd gear. The PO was sure it would cost 1000+ to fix it so I got a great deal, and he had a bottom end from another 1100 that I can steal the gears and shift forks from If I need them. I've read about the tranny fix but I have a few other questions.

The PO said that if you leave the gas 'ON' that it would get very very hard to start after sitting for 10 - 15 minutes. I'm thinking that one or more of the floats are sticking or miss-adjusted. Sound right, or should I start by cleaning/rebuilding the petcocks? He also told me that it will fowl one of the plugs so that's probably my sticky float cylinder.

The second problem is the front brakes are sticking. We rolled it out and then when I was checking things over I pulled the front brake lever and now they won't back off. Any quick fixes to get them released so that I don't have to carry the front of the bike into the back of my truck tomorrow when I go to pick it up? Maybe use a screw driver to gently force the calipers back a bit? He suggested WD-40 last night but I know thats not a good Idea, I'd like to be able to stop in the future.

Last but not least does anyone have a sound clip of their XS running. Mine is a little noisy, like a mechanical spinning/whirring kind of noise. Didn't really sound bad just different then what I'm used to a motorcycle sounding like, but then again I've never been around an older air-cooled bike before either.

Thanks,
    -Brian
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Hi. and welcome ... first .... is your XS a Special or Standard? They have slightly different fuel delivery and routing schemes.

Could be the fuel taps and, if a Special, the dredded 'Octopus' also can become a player here as well. Both are easy fixes and repair kits are inexpensive and readily available from a few different sources. You can search on 'petcocks' and will find a wealth of info regarding this issue on this site.

The brake problem could be several things .... XS caliper pistons have worn out and seized up over the years causing problems AND/OR there is a 'spooge' hole or port in both the front and rear Master Cyls that tends to plug up over time not allowing the piston to return properly. Again there is a plethora of info here on this site regarding this problem and a Tech Tip describing the fix. It may be possible that you can release the stuck caliper by opening the bleed screw.

A word of caution ... think long and hard before riding it home without a good front brake .... don't ask me how I know this.

You cannot beat the good people here on this forum .... there is more XS knowledge here than you can shake a stick at, a willingness to help each other .... and lotsa love for this timeless machine. Again, welcome .... post a pic when you can.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

"79 Custom?"

I believe you mean a "Special". There are important differences in petcocks, fuel delivery... so you need to clarify a little more.
      Standards have the box shaped tank, Specials have the teardrop shaped one. You can check your serial number against the ones listed to the left in the tyellow area, inder "Specifications".
      You probably have a Special, as you mention an Off on the petcocks.
      I'll need a special owner to comment on the fixes for the Specials vacuum operated fuel delivery system.. but either way... even if that system fails.. if the carbs still flood, you probably need new float needles in the carb as they're not sealing.

Front brake. Probably has what is referred to here as a plugged "Splooge" hole in the master cylinder. This is the return fluid vent hole. System can't relieve pressure, so the brake stays applied. Master cylinder needs disassembly and cleaned.
      Caliper could be sticking, also.
      Opening the bleed fitting on the caliper will messily release the pressure in order to move the bike. If doing so frees the caliper, the problem is with the master cylinder. If it doesn't free the caliper, then the caliper is stuck and may be a rebuild/cleaning, too.
      Yes, a screw driver to the metal part of the pads will free the wheel.
      You will have to do this several times while moving the bike, as I know that, due to habit, you will be grabbing the brake lever to stop it from rolling, etc.
      Noisy... probably needs the cam chain adjusted. Many threads here concerning the technique/proceedures.
      Oh, and welcome to the site.

Nice going, Wiz... I walk away mid sentence to get more coffee and you post everything I was gonna say. Makes me look like an idiot. (I hate you, now... remember that!)
      Last edited by prometheus578; 02-29-2008, 11:45 AM.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Yeah, I meant Special, its got the round markers, headlight, speedo and tach. I'll check the serial number when I get it home to be sure.

I'll post a pic as soon as I get it home. Thanks for the tips, I'm off to search now....

A word of caution ... think long and hard before riding it home without a good front brake .... don't ask me how I know this.
        Also just to clarify I don't plan to ride it home, we've got about 10" of snow here in Michigan so It's coming home in the truck either way. It will just be a lot easier to load if the front wheel turns freely.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Hi psycoreefer, I'm about 45 min. from you. If you want a hand w/ the 1st & 2nd gear fix I might be able to help. I've done it before. Along with other things. Course it will cost you a beer. Maybe 2. Even if you swap gears from another tranny I would still do the dremel fix, There are bound to be worn a little.
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Hey red, thanks for the offer. I've been reading a lot about the tranny fix and I came to the same conclusion, the nice part is that I can take the gears out of the old one for "practice" and grind em at my leisure and then just swap em out when I'm ready, and if the shift forks are messed up (and the impression I got from the PO says they will be) I've got extras. I'll still probably take you up on your offer though, it always helps to have an extra hand.
            1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

Not to worry, Promster ...

Didn't mean to usurp your post ... I learned it all from you, Planedick and the others here .... not to mention my own 3 have had all of these issues as well.
              80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
              79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

If you pry the pads apart, the fluid might overflow the master cylinder. Be careful as it does eat pain!
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

It eats PAINT.. which causes pain.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

weather or not ...

PsyhRfr ... I didn't read close enoungh ... sure enough, you are in MI too, lol. I was thinkin' (in error) that it was between either haulin' it or ridin' it .... but weather has eliminated that choice for now.
                    80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I've got it home now. Ended up breaking the bleeders loose but it didn't seem like there was any pressure so we pried a little with a screw driver and things loosened up enough to make loading a lot easier. I'll have to pull the calipers and master and clean em up, the fluid that came out the bleeders was dirty brown, probably the original stuff from 79 still.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                      X