need info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info please

Hey guys! My mechanic type guy just told me that first and second gear need replacing. First just sits there and chatters, second clicks in hard and pulls away but chatters bad with moderate throttle. What I need to know is :

1. Is he right, do i need to replace the gears?

2. where do i find them ( and forks and clutch and anything else i should do while i'm in there)

I'm stoked, this thing was POURing oil out of the breather when i got it running (not idleing). He's cleaned the carbs and synced them and it purrrs. He drove it by the house to show me what 1st and 2nd gear was doing.

Thanks for all your help guys.

nother question... does it supposed to have a paper/foam filter in the air box?

Oz, check in the tech section for the articles on second gear repair. This will give you a general idea of what you might be up against. Second gear failure is pretty common on the XS11, but other have lost first and sometimes fifth too IIRC. Read everything you can find there, then try a few searches with the search button at the top of thepage and yu find more than you ever wanted to know about doing a dremel fix to repair the problem gears, or buying new gears.

The airbox should have some sort of filter element in it. All of my bikes still have the original hairy foam element. I believe most of the aftermarket replacmements are foam, not paper.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I've read about the fix, but to be honest. Most of it is greek to me. I'm not versed in transmission lingo at all. multiple gears for one gear, multiple positions for gears.... its all alittle over whelming. I did find the name of a few online retailers that i could buy from while I was searching though. I know, or at least am pretty sure the answer to my question is in the tech section. But I dont understand most of it.

IF first and second gear are slipping, what parts would i need to buy to hand to my mechanic type guy for my bike to be fixed.

I'm an idiot when it comes to engines, I speak/write 9 computer languages and can intermingle 4 of them and make it work, but i've never touched a transmision and simply dont have time to learn. Thanks for any help you can give in dumbing this down for me.

Comment

If you know the mechanic, and TRUST his work, have him buy new parts from Yamaha. It won't be cheap, as you need four gears at about $85 to $105 each, plus two shift forks at about $65 each, IIRC. I did my transmission, and did a dremel fix on one set of gears, and bought the second set as well as one shift fork. Do a search on transmissions in the forum, and you will have some more information to give the mechanic. I would also go to the main page>tech tips>transmission, and print out the dremel fix instructions for him. It lists moving a washer that will help the second gear, so you may want him to do that.
        For the air filter, I like the K&N washable I have in my airbox. It runs about $35, I think. I also drilled a few 1/2" holes in the bottom CENTER of the airbox. This is in the center of the filter, as it works by sucking the air in the center, and the outside of the filter is the "clean air" for the engine.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks, thats the conclusion i've come to ... i'm printing out everything and i'm gonna let him take a look and advise me from there.

Comment

Working...
          X