dead xs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead xs 1100

problem: when I tried to start my xs 1100 started to crank then just quit. has never done this before. All fuses (6) are good but I have no power to the start button, no head light, no oil or neutral light, just seems to have died any clues out there and I don't think the butler did it with a candle stick in the library it is a xs 1100 H I do have power to and from the key switch
    Last edited by rockhauler 2006; 02-26-2008, 07:45 PM.

There is a master fuse. On My 81 SH it is along side the battery on the other side from the fuse box
    81 SH (SHotgun Special)
    110 mains
    idle jets 2.5 turns
    floats at 24mm

You live, You learn, then Die and Forget it all

Comment

The Dragon did that to me a few years ago, after several hours of checking things out it turned out to be the wiring connector plug at the top of the triple tree behind the headlight,(the wires going to the ignition switch) one of the wires, the brown one if memory serves had become loose and melted part of the plug. As I was a long way from home I removed the connector plug and hooked up the wires with small wire nuts from a local hardware store and sealed them with a dab of silicone sealant. They are still that way.
      The Old Tamer
      1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Colonel Mustard just called from the billiard room."

He said to try jigglin' the key in the ignition.
        The brass ignition plate in the switch often has poor contact nubs due to corrosion, etc... allowing juice to some circuits, but not the ignition circuit.

(I'm too lazy right now to tear mine apart and fix it, but that's what my problem is. Just needs to have the contacts cleaned)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only, "I'm too lazy right now to tear mine apart and fix it." That is a common problem with these switches as they age. I'm on switch #2 right now and just picked up switch #3 for replacement.
          Do'Lee
          XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
          (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
          (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
          (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
          SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

dead xs 1100

after reading the posts I have tried all the conectors by the tripple tree only to find conenutiey through all of them so I kept going to the rest of the bike same thing. I do not have 12 volts to the igniton mod and only one terminal at the reglator any other ideas where my problem could be I am getting frustrated

Comment

rockhauler,
              I merged the threads for you. Now we can keep track of what you have tried, and what can be wrong.
              Have you found the MAIN FUSE on your bike? It is under the LEFT side cover, up near the top of the battery. It should be a HEAVY red wire, IIRC. there will be a plastic inline glass fuse holder that is oval, so the spare fuse is part of the holder. I would check the fuse with a Volt/Ohm Meter, to verify it is good.
              If it checks out, there will be a BROWN heavy wire from the ignition switch back to the rest of the bike. This is the "ignition" side of the harness, and it should measure NO MORE than .4 Volts LESS than battery voltage with the ignition in the run position.
              Let us know what you find.
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

dead xs 1100

fuse is good red wire off the main switch is 11.74 dcv brown wire is 11.60 dcv ok now where might the reduction be. checked the batt voltage 12.73 I checked the red and brown at the conection

Comment

dead xs 1100

could it be the ignitor unit that would cuse the probem I am haveing

Comment

Re: dead xs 1100

Originally posted by rockhauler 2006
                    fuse is good
                    Did you take the fuse out of the holder and tug on the ends to be sure? I've seen glass fuses come apart under one of the caps. The centre bit looks okay, but the conductor is no longer attached ot the end cap.

BTW - I just merged another piece of this topic into this thread. Please use stay in this thread, and use the 'reply' button for more follow-up. Wouldn't want to lose a critical bit of the problem or solution...
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

fuse block?

Are you still running the stock fuse block? If so they can leave you hanging. The way they are made and what they are made of, lets them melt and loose contact easily, especially if you are running an extra amp. load somewhere and it's usually the main fuse holder that goes. I think TopCat has some better replacement fuse blocks for sale. Warning!! if you are running a 100w. high beam, run the fuse separate from the rest of the block, use a high amp. inline fuse holder , or you could melt the new fuse block as well.
                      Fastmover
                      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

Working...
                      X