My other problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys.... (And especially Prom),

I came onto this thread to post another..."we have been here before, and been abused for giving the best knowledge we had" reply.

I offer thanks to our administrator for not only reminding us of the sense of community which keeps us revisiting here, but also for being a better mechanic than most of us.......

Mark; be nice...... we are only trying to offer the help you asked us for.....

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

If you go back and check, I never said in any of your threads that I thought your carbs. were out of sync. What I did was offer to help you check them with my tools. At it's best , bench syncing is only a stop gap measure to get them close, then you have to finish up with instruments when they are on the bike and running. Just like all the other adjustments that have to be made when tuning a bike. That is the main reason I use a gauge set instead of the tube type, they tell me things as I'm tuning the rest of the carb. Also after doing a total adjustment I usually have to tweak the sync. once again before I satisfied. I've been around motorcycles for a long time and I could count the truly gifted mechanics, who could tune a bike by ear and feel and get it right, on one hand and you not on the list. So I don't have to prove anything to you, so save your money to buy some good carb. cleaner. As far as anymore help from me, the shop's closed.
      Fastmover
      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

Thanks to Prom for the level headed reply. And no I didn't say you were a FLAT HEAD !

Mark, it's difficult to diagnose a bike from afar, we are all trying and suggesting what we know.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread, can't remember the other thread, is aside from vacuum leaks from the engine mating part of the intake boots, as well as the vacuum hoses, is also the synch port caps. They have been known to harden, yet still seem to be fitting snugly when in fact they are just loose enough to allow vacuum leaks around them. A member had a fluctuating idle that couldn't be stabilized until he replaced the synch caps, and then it smoothed right out! YMMV?

Some more diagnostic research like Prom stated could also go a long way in narrowing down a possible cause.

Good Luck!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X