2007 Harley Softail Mufflers Installed on a 1980 XS11 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Harley Softail Mufflers Installed on a 1980 XS11 G

Well, I finally got around to cutting the stock mufflers off of my 1980 G. When I bought this bike in 2001 or so, there one good size hole on the right hand side muffler. At the time, I just patched the hole by riveting a sheet of aluminum over the hole with a liberal coating of RTV around the edges. This had all of the exhaust gases heading out the rear, but was not the prettiest thing in the world. I always intended to find a more palatable solution, but because this seemed to be working, it stayed like this for many years. The other day, I pulled the bike out and started her up and, in the cold, I noticed exhaust coming out from various places under the mufflers. Upon closer inspection, there were probably ten or so dime sized holes in the mufflers.

Being a typical frugal XS11 owner I wanted to spend the least amount of money possible. I had read the tech tip about the Harley fatboy mufflers and thought that this was probably a good place to start. However, with no pictures to go by, I was a little confused about to which mufflers the tip was referring. I poked around ebay and found plenty of fatboy mufflers, but there were many different styles, with different mounting brackets and some had crossover ports and some did not. I decided to do a search for fatboy mufflers here and came up with a number of posts that mentioned that people had used them before, but not much more details as to the correct mufflers to use. So I went to the local Harley dealer and they let me poke around through the very large pile of takeoffs sitting in the corner waiting to go into the dumpster. Get this, as I’m looking at this very large pile, the guy in the service department says “you should have come in last week, because we just threw out a couple pallets of mufflers.” This leads me to assume that there is no real shortage of basically brand new mufflers available to us. I really did not want to get the stock exhaust cut up and find that I had brought home the wrong kind of mufflers, so I grabbed a few sets that looked promising. Of the bunch, the following looked like possibilities:

’07 Softail - which basically had two welded on nuts as the mounting points. These looked the most promising as they were closest to the stock set up and if nothing else, they looked the most universal. These are what I ended up using.

They had a set of older softail mufflers from the early nineties that had two welded on mounting tabs on each muffler. I grabbed these because they looked to be the closest thing I could find to the description in the fatboy tech tip, but they did not really match up to the stock bracket at all so they must not be the right ones. All of the mufflers from around time the tech tip was probably written (00-06) had crossover ports that would have to be welded shut so I figured these were probably close.

I also had a set of touring mufflers at the house from a roadking that would look real neat, but these would have needed an extra length of pipe to get the wide parts to clear the foot peg brackets and because the mounting points are at the rear of the mufflers, would have needed a mounting point further back than anything on my bike. I still have these, because if I ever put the saddlebags back on, I think it would pretty easy to rig mounts that attach to the saddlebag frames and I think the extra length of the touring mufflers would be nice to get the exhaust gases to clear the bags. It also looks like you might lose the centerstand with the roadking mufflers because they are so wide.

I was a little nervous about taking off the exhaust flange nuts, because everytime I can remember doing it for the first time on other bikes that are close to thirty years old, at least one exhaust stud snaps off and a small job turns into a week long headache of drilling out the broken stud. Amazingly, all of the nuts came right off with a very small amount of effort. I ended up cutting the stock exhaust right in front of the crossover pipe just before the pipes started the muffler flare. The stubs that were left were just about the perfect fit for the 1 ¾ openings of the Harley pipes. It was a very tight fit, but with a little grease and a little pushing, they went right on. I put the headers back on and did a little measuring.

I decided to use the ’07 softail mufflers – Harley Model # 65842-07 because they tucked up real nice and did not require any exhaust adapters. The only thing that I needed to make was a small bracket to mate the rearmost bracket mount on the mufflers to the rubber mounted muffler hanger on the foot peg bracket. They terminate just behind the rear axle, but are slender enough that they do not interfere with removing the axle like in the stock setup. All in all, the whole thing could be done in less than an hour.

The results

The sound is roughly the same decibel level as the stockers with a slightly different tone. I’m not a real good judge, but they may be just a hair louder, but it’s close enough that I can’t really tell for sure. I think that they also look really good, good enough that if you were not familiar with XS11s, you would more than likely think they were stock. I did lose the crossover, but as far as seat of the pants performance goes, I can’t tell any difference at all.

The biggest difference that I did find was that the really obnoxious vibrations that have been present between 3000 and 3500 RPMs since I bought the bike are now gone. I guess the guts of the stock mufflers had come loose at some point and the harmonics at that RPM level really shook the sh*t out of everything. When you shake the stock mufflers that I cut off, you can hear a lot of stuff rattling around inside both of them. I now have to get used to riding in that RPM range again. I used to either shift prior to getting to 3000 or push through and keep the revs above this range. Now it pulls smoothly through to redline.

I do still notice a slight bit of popping on deceleration that has always been present but I had hoped was attributable to the holes in the stock mufflers. Some of this might be due to the fact that I reused the old exhaust gaskets when I put the headers back on. I have also heard that the lack of crossover can contribute to slight popping. It really is not noticeable unless I am using quite a bit of engine braking and even then it is still very subtle. I have not touched the jetting at all but plan to keep an eye on the plugs to make sure that nothing needs tweaking.

Oh yeah, the other small glitch that I ran into, was that the inside of the part that you step on to raise the bike onto the centerstand just barely grazes the outside of the left muffler when you put it up and down. Still very usable, but to avoid the possibility of scratching up the new muffler, I find that I have to slightly push the muffler towards the bike a bit while I raise or lower the center stand. I might be able to just bend the rear muffler brackets in a bit to hold the mufflers in a bit closer to the bike, but since I only use the centerstand for maintenance, it didn’t really seem worth the time. Even if they get a bit scratched, you can always get another set of mufflers for nothing, so not really a big deal. The only other place things were tight, was where the pivot bolt for the centerstand came out right in the same place as the muffler clamp. There was plenty of room to get the clamps on, but the muffler clamp bolts had to be on the bottom of the exhaust instead of being tucked up behind the exhaust as I would have wanted. You could probably just cut the exhaust pipes an inch shorter to move this junction forward to clear of the centerstand pivot bolt, but again not really that big of a deal to me.

So, the total cost came to around $1.45 for some stainless ¼” bolts and washers that attached the homemade bracket to the muffler. Not bad! I have seen quite a bit of the ’07-’08 softail mufflers on ebay ending at $20 with no bids, so even if you can’t get them free from a Harley dealer, the total outlay, with shipping, shouldn’t be more than $40 or so.

I took few pictures to get a visual, but my digital camera is not available right now, so I had to use the still mode on my camcorder and without a flash in my dimly lit garage, the pictures leave a bit to be desired. I plan to get some better pictures posted as soon as I have my camera handy and I can get the bike out in the sun.

Stock Mufflers Removed

'07 Harley Softail Mufflers - 65842-07 (Image swiped from ebay)

Side View

Rear View

Front View

Rear Side
    Last edited by D. P. Larmee; 02-26-2008, 11:18 PM.
    1980 XS 1100 Standard
    1980 XS 1100 Special
    1982 XJ 1100
    1972 Honda CB 350

Clean your garage.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

"Ok, now seriously..."

Nice job.
      And a very detailled report, and a helpful tip.
      Yeah, it's a crying shame what shops have to throw out sometimes.
      People buy these new bikes and immediately want louder mufflers. Now.. what to do with the old/new ones?
      Hard to just throw out good parts.
      I used to keep them around, and sell them dirt cheap to people who layed their bikes down and scratched up their old pipes.

Could have made a fortune offa E Bay if I had the time.

Bike looks good to me.

Comment

My mufflers are already 'slip-ons' so these would likely slip right on!

Good to know for when the S&S mufflers rust out...
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Prom, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, it would seem that if it is this common to take off the mufflers prior to even taking delivery of the bike, Harley would have the option of shipping the bike without mufflers and let the customer decide what goes on. I guess what does Harley care? They get to sell the customer two sets of pipes this way.

Clean your garage.
          The garage gets cleaned once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Usually I just pull the boards to oil change pit and sweep everything in and cover it right back up.
          Last edited by D. P. Larmee; 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM.
          1980 XS 1100 Standard
          1980 XS 1100 Special
          1982 XJ 1100
          1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

I like it! It looks great! Will these mufflers work well with the MAC 4 into 2 headers?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I guess what does Harley care?
              Not just Harley....
              I threw out tons of shiney mufflers when I cleaned my shed last summer.
              I still have several pairs left... Kawasaki, Triumph and Victory's... for when I finally get the urge to finish my project bikes.

Sadly, GNEPIG, no Vespa exhausts... they're just too stylish for me!

Comment

The mfg has to ship each bike (vehicle) with mufflers installed to pass inspection.

What you do after that is your problem.

What I don't understand is why it's so hard to enforce soud bylaws?
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I like it! It looks great! Will these mufflers work well with the MAC 4 into 2 headers?
                  The nice thing about the '07-'08 softail mufflers is that they are basically universal slip ons. They do not have any external bracketing on them so they are very easy to adapt. I am not real familiar with the mac exhaust systems, but if the outlet size of the exhaust pipes are roughly 1 3/4 OD like the stock pipes, they should work just as easy. If they are a different size, you may need an exhaust reducer or such to bridge the size gap between the pipes and the mufflers. My local Autozone has a pretty extensive selection of adaptors and reducers, running from $2-$10 or so. They all looked to be weld-ons though, so you would probably need to either have them welded on to the exhaust pipes or possibly cut your own slots in them to use them with clamps.
                  1980 XS 1100 Standard
                  1980 XS 1100 Special
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

nice, they look like fat boys too
                    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                    History
                    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                    79 yamaha xs1100f
                    03 honda cbr 600 f4
                    91 yamaha fzr 600
                    84 yamaha fj 1100
                    82 yamaha seca 750
                    87 yamaha fazer
                    86 yamaha maxim x
                    82 yamaha vision
                    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

"You tryin' to pick a fight?"

So do most of us older guys.

Comment

only with hardlys
                        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Nice job, D.P. Does anyone know if those same mufflers would work on an 81 special? I noticed DP's is a standard.
                          Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                          1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                          23mm float height
                          120 main jets
                          42.5 pilot jets
                          drilled stock airbox with K&N
                          Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                          spade fusebox
                          1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

You will probably be removing the muffs whenever you pull the rear wheel, but that is easy enuf.
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I used a slight mod on my XS850 Gunfighter using HD Softails with excellent results. Originally my XS850-S was maddeningly S... L... O... W...

Internally I cut out the center hd baffle tube with a small Dremel cutoff wheel. This left the OEM hd waffle baffling intact (pushes up against mufflers' inner shell surface). Tossed the balance tube, so exh. pipes were now straight back.

Were they louder? you betcha! They also produce much better performance over the oem Special exhaust. There's an especially gratifying increase in usable low-end torque with the otherwise stock 850 engine. It also runs bell-shaped air cleaner pods.

The bike is so torquey & quick in the lower gears it can be short-shifted. It also starts much easier than with a stock Yam intake & exhaust on it.

At wide open throttle it roars like an old 60's gasser at Lions Dragstrip. Homicidal Cagers & Killer Van drivers get the message real fast & get outta da way!

I only sold it because the 850 wheelbase was too short for us to ride 2 up comfortably. Its still hauling A$ around Tucson with a new, and a less tech aware, but nonetheless proud owner.
                              79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

Working...
                              X