help on closing mixture screw hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on closing mixture screw hole

on my carbs for the xs1100f, i found that no 2 carb was drilled into for the fuel idle mixture screw, the hole is bigger than the seat is, is there something i could use to close this hole down to the original size it was in the first place, the taper that is on these screws, i thought about soldering the end of the tip to widen the end and then sand down, or do they make amixture screw that is wider at the end , i look for theses 79 carbs of e-bay , no find, maybe to replace no 2 bank, or can i fix the hole in the carb side and redrill all so carefully
    mike.s

Might take a look at this (click link)
    http://www.permatex.com/documents/td...tive/81668.pdf
    If you do...let us know how it works.

mro

Comment

I think, MRO, that he's talking about the hole that the point of the screw goes into..
      What may have happened is that someone over tightened the screw and broke the tip off in the pilot hole.(and you know how difficult it is to get that broken tip out of the hole)
      Someone then used a drill.. drilling down from the top to remove the broken tip... but causing an enlarged hole. (and we all know what a pain an enlarged hole is... especially those of us who've done prison time)
      Now then, if I recall... some people have... used JBWeld and plugged the hole from the inner carb side, and then before the stuff fully hardens, used a new pilot screw, greased, and turned in and out several times to re open the hole to the correct diameter.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

i will give it a try, excellent idea ,i was thinking about doing that but did not no if it would break loose in time of use, thankyou mike s.
        mike.s

Comment

There would probably be enough JBWeld mushroomed in the screw side of the hole to hold it in place if it ever lost it's bond.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

thats true, ill get back to you with the results, thanks guys
            mike.s

Comment

This permatex product might be a good alternitive to JB...
              Would place a piece of masking tape over hole in the throttle body after putting in the permatex and then run the screw down till it just goes thru the tape.

mro

Comment

number 2 carb

this did not work out so well the permatex got into the small hole that on the side for the air and clogged it up, tried to pick it out, not good, even had the mixture screw in during this process, does any body no where i can get a second bank for this setup, xs1100f 1979, tried to use air through the bottom tube and nothing,all the others are clear
                mike.s

Comment

Check ebay. I've seen XS carbs on there plenty of times.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

what year carbs could i look for to replace the no. 2 bank, or go with a whole new set, but what year, can i use on this bike
                    mike.s

Comment

For the individual carb, you'll want a 78-79 carb. The 80's are IFFY in that Yamaha mixed and matched them during the production year until they were the later style(80-81).

IF you get a whole bank, then you can use either series, just have to be aware of the minor differences in venting and fuel routing, and jetting.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X