Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaghetti Headers/Custom Headers

Hi, Y'all!

Can't seem to find a difinitive answer for this so I thought I'd ask the experts...

Other than a lucky find on eBay, is is still possible to get new headers in the spaghetti style?

Sorry!

I don't think so, but I'm no expert!
    1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
    dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
    MikesXs 35k Coils
    8mm plug wires
    42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
    (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
    Kerker 4-into-1
    Shaved emblems
    Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
    Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
    Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
    Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
    Custom Dual Headlights
    Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

I haven't looked into it, but for the price of quality, new systems, you could just about have one fabricated for the same price. Hell, if you had a batch made up, you could probably turn enough cash to cover your set
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I have a machinist friend who is doing headers for CBXs right now out of stainless. He also makes billet head stays, ignition covers, crank covers, and cam covers for the CBX (with logos).

He's not a CBX fanatic (in fact, he's never ridden a motorcycle), but Roy (a mutual friend of ours) ownes a CBX, and set up the deal for him within the CBX community.

The headers he's doing for the CBXs are about $12-1300.00, but they are the type with 6 individual pipes and baffles (remember they ARE in stainless, and done in small batches=expensive).

How about a set of pipes that'll last longer than your bike?

The guy who's doing the TIG on the pipes is another friend of mine who is a master at welding...we do structural work at ASFI (all 3 of us).

Anyway...Nick, (the machinist) is always looking for more projects, so if anyone is interested in spaghetti pipes in stainless (or plain steel Jet-Hot coated), let me know and I'll pass it on to him.

If there is enough interest, (including his interest)... I'll need someone to temporarily donate a set so he can use them as a template. My bike can serve as a clothes-horse for fitting on Standards, and a Special will be needed to fit Specials.

Not promising anything, and it won't happen overnight.

If enough people want a set, I'll put you directly in touch with Nick also, through this website.

Same goes for anything enough people want machined out of billet.

Let me know.
        Last edited by Guy_b_g; 02-25-2008, 12:48 AM.
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Custom headers, long thread

I just got back from Nick's machine shop (where I was dropping off a set of cylinders to be bored for the big-bore conversion).

As I stated in this thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16557

Nick is definately interested in making headers for the XS11 community if there is enough interest.

I now have an interest also, since he has asked for my help in constucting them if the orders come in. He has a plenty of work right now, including Lockheed, CBX headers and parts, and a partnership in long haul trucking that he's running, so he asked for my assistance (I already barter work - for machine work, and assist with some of his CBX parts). Just being honest here.

Anyway, he can make the headers of polished stainless, or mild steel with Jet-Hot coating. We haven't gotten to the stage of figuring prices yet..but he charges $1200 COD for the 6 into 6 polished stainless headers he builds for CBXs, (they are considerably more complex than XS11 pipes and there are obviously more of them, so I expect that the price for us would be less). Stainless requires TIG welding, and polishing, so he suggests that the better route to go for price and ease of manufacture would be mild steel tubing, with Jet-Hot ceramic heat barrier coating (which is available in a variety of colors and finishes).

http://www.jet-hot.com/

I have experience with Jet-Hot on my Guzzi Centauro. and can tell you that it's a durable, high quality product- tougher and longer lasting than chrome, and the sterling silver Jet-Hot doesn't discolor like chrome. There is also a slight performance advantage. In fact, for those of you with sound headers who have header paint problems, or flaking rusty chrome, I would suggest that you simply ship the headers you currently have to Jet-Hot rather than spending the money on new headers.

Mild steel can also be MIG welded which saves time and labor, equaling lower cost. On the other hand, stainless will last almost forever...but it does discolor near the heads to a golden-brown color.

Fitting for the Standards will be done on my bike. Fitting for any Specials will need a volunteer. If enough interest is generated we'll get a bare frame with pipe mounts and a set of engine cases with cylinders to use for the Specials.

Any type of pipe style, such as Jardine spaghettis, 4-1's, kerkers, 4-2's etc, will require a temporary donation of a set of like pipes to make templates and jigs from.

Let me know what you think and if there is enough interest I'll get started organizing this...maybe we can say **** you to the various header manufacturers who have dropped us.

If a moderator is out there, could you merge my prior comments on the other thread with this thread? (thanks)
          Last edited by Guy_b_g; 02-25-2008, 01:21 PM.
          Guy

'78E

Comment

Hell if we get to pick, maybe we can do some real trick stuff. For instance, for my buddies KZ, we found a spagettied 4-2-1 that seemed to bump the HP. Or, a possibly more affordable X-pipe. Just throwing ideas out there
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Thanks for the merge, Mr Moderator (whoever you are...)
              Guy

'78E

Comment

81xsproject

4-2-1 spaghetti headers are a possibility, but since I have no data to base the header length to the dual and single collectors on, there's no way I could promise increased performance. If someone has the math, or knows of a program to design such headers, let me know. Otherwise, all I can promise is that they'll LOOK fast...

Not sure what x-type headers are....
                Last edited by Guy_b_g; 02-25-2008, 08:49 PM.
                Guy

'78E

Comment

This is exciting - I'll start saving now !!!
                  Si Parker
                  '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Working...
                  X