Looking for gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gaskets, yea or ney.

Madmax, those gaskets you seem to need aren't totally necessary. None of those covers have them on my ride after fixing tranny, etc. Clean surfaces good with Brak-Cleen, use a thin film of Permatex high-temp gray on mating surfaces, let set bout 20min. and install covers. Haven't had so much as a seep or wet spot. Key is clean with no oil residue, as these surfaces are machined and mate very well. Shift cover, pan and clutch cover all have this on mine. Gaskets on these sufaces don't double duty as shim spacing, so works well. My pan was put back on this way after putting in an oil pump before installing moter. Was that way for 2 years with not a seep before I got ambition enough to pull it off and fix second gear.
    gasket on clutch side is still there, but broke in one place removing, so put a thin film of high temp gray around whole surface anyway and have no problems leaking or seeping wet spot anywhere, and with many experiences over the years in doing this don't expect any problems of having to re-do any of it. After dovetailing every slot and dog that exisited on any of those lower shaft gears, don't expect to have it off again. Dove-tails are pronounced enough that dis-engagement down-shifting sometimes is a bit "notchy", but ensures no skipping from not staying engaged won't happen again. With a diamond stone wheel and Dremal ground at angle from start till that angle existed out to end of slot and dog, checked progress with mic using other side of dog and slot as a reference point. Was able to keep them close to the same with less than .002 difference between any slot or dog. So far, in these cases I haven't seen gaskets being totally necessary. Good preperation is the key as with doing most anything
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

hmmm

motoman...this is very interesting...why is it I find this stuff out after the fact???Seems like that happens to me alot...LOL as for the dremel fix....not doing that...I have ordered new factory back cut gears and will just be swapping them out.
      1980 XS650G Special-Two
      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
        A COMPLETE gasket set from Partsnmore is $77 for the XS and $65 for the XJ. Either one add $3 shipping.

Anyone know what the difference in the two sets would be besides the extra material on the head gasket for the YICS that you could easily trim off? All the other covers' gaskets are the same, along with the valve seals and such..

Tod
        Tod thats still more expensive than Bike Bandit...$50 bucks with shipping and OEM
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You guys choose what gaskets you want, I was just trying to tell you that for $15 more, you could have had a complete gasket set. You ordered 3 gaskets. The kits have 39 pieces with all the valve guides, O-rings, exhaust gaskets, and a head gasket that are made by a European company that supplies OEM parts to other companies... including Yamaha. So, essentially these are OEM parts, and they possibly made the OEM ones you just ordered.

Not trying to argue here, and if you're happy with your purchase... great. Just thought it would help to get the info out there. What you do with this info is your decision.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Holy cow doesn't anybody make their own gaskets any more?

I had the same problem with an old Honda CX500 I was working on. The front engine case gasket is a monster and not longer available. For 6 or 7 bucks I bought gasket material to make 3 or more. Good thing too as I F'ed up the first one.

I've been using the left overs from this project for a several years and a few days ago I made new head gaskets for my Gast air compressor and I still have more...

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I also make the ones I can. But it's nice to have a set of seals, O-rings, head gasket, etc that you can't make. It also makes it easier to have a gasket there to trace instead of using the part.

But yeah... side covers, oil pan, cam chain tensioner etc are all easily made.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                You guys choose what gaskets you want, I was just trying to tell you that for $15 more, you could have had a complete gasket set. You ordered 3 gaskets. The kits have 39 pieces with all the valve guides, O-rings, exhaust gaskets, and a head gasket that are made by a European company that supplies OEM parts to other companies... including Yamaha. So, essentially these are OEM parts, and they possibly made the OEM ones you just ordered.

Not trying to argue here, and if you're happy with your purchase... great. Just thought it would help to get the info out there. What you do with this info is your decision.

Tod
                Tod:
                Oh I see... well excuse my ignorance...i do appreciate you sharing that...maybe i can still cancel that order...hmm just did it yesterday ..kinda think from now on ..before i do or buy another damn thing i will consult with everyone first and hopefully get something right the first time...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Guys, it's fine for you to do whatever you please with your own bike, but when a guy asks my advice on his bike, I'm not going to advise him to take shortcuts and **** something up. Save $15 and what happens IF it leaks? Do it again? Sorry, my time is worth more than that. Do it once and do it right or don't do it at all.

So you make your own gaskets, yeah i've done that too. But for myself. Ben asked me to help him with his bike, and I'm fairly sure that he'd rather spend the time wrenching than making paper dolls. And if he did buy a whole set, most of them would sit on a shelf forever anyway.

Comment

Randy,

The first paragraph, I understood almost nothing. Who said anything about shortcuts? What's he going to **** up putting on sidecovers? Whether he buys the parts from Bike Bandit or wherever... or saves $15 or spends it...what happens if it leaks?? Same thing no matter where they are bought from, or how they installed it. Someone asked your advice about his bike and you gave it. Then we gave ours. You have just chosen to post your disagreements to everyone else trying to give choices. You haven't ordered the gaskets from Partsnmore, but you automatically have an opinion about them. I personally wouldn't install side covers with no gaskets, but it has obviously worked for someone and it's an option they felt like sharing.

As for taking your time to wrench instead of "Making paper dolls", when I personally need a gasket, I can spend a lot more time on the wrenching when I don't have to order and wait for parts. I can just go cut a new doll out and keep going. No one talked of making them for him. We all do it for ourselves.

If someone wrenches on a bike enough, most appreciate having some extra parts "sitting on the shelf forever" when they are needed. Again... it would save time and money if they were already there versus having to order them, and gaskets don't take up much room. Plus, the cost of ordering them individually... it just made sense to me (Again, just my opinion and just one option) to spend an extra $15 to have them all. You don't agree, and that's fine.

I like to have extra parts around, you obviously don't. I enjoy making my gaskets and saving some time and money when I can, you don't. I like to give people other options to make their own decisions, you..... well, you see where this is going.

Tod

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

"Guys and Paper Dolls..."

Gentlemen, gentlemen...
                      What's the fuss?

I'm not gonna waste my time scrolling back to see just who said what. It doesn't matter.

Gaskets... some use them, some don't.
                      Do they cost money... Yes.
                      Can one make them oneself... Yes.
                      Are they always needed... No

Hard thing about giving advice on this site. One never fully knows what the mechanical experience level is of the recipient.(or whether they're a pedantic purist)
                      If I'm conferring with say, Ray or John, I'd say, 'Just goop it up and snap it back together."
                      To other's I might say,"Smear some goop on the old gasket and close it up."
                      To some people, I'd advise a new gasket, not just 'cause it wouldn't leak, but to also give them piece of mind.

In the majority of cases, all three options are sound advice.
                      Concerning the money involved, many are stingy skinflints like me. For other's... money's no object.

This issue isn't worth singing about.
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Peace PLS....

Randy,Tod...the intention of my thread was to learn abt the different options that would be available to me.You all have valid points and there is no need for this argument and rubbing each other the wrong way.So pls remember that there are many varied opinions here and that I respect them all.Ultimately I decide as to the course of action I will take.Since Randy was kind enough to offer his help I naturally went with his advice...and most likely i will stick with it.So I am taken aback a little by the tenor of this discussion.So while we all have different opinions and we share what info.we have..pls keep it civil as we do not always have to agree with each other..at least we can share the info.and allow those who are asking to make up their own minds as to what they want to do.Now I am feeling like a Moderator..and dont want to be...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Argument?

What argument? I thought we were having fun with a lively debate

I hope I haven't offended anyone. If I have, I'm sorry.

Comment

"If I had to stop and apologize to everyone that I may have offended...."

.. I wouldn't have enough time left over to offend even more people.

(Common courtesy just makes my job harder)
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Just to add another perspective on the "no gasket" approach.... in the future when you have to open the cases agan for whatever reason, it is much much faster to clean up the surfaces with some brake cleaner and a small wire brush if you have NOT used any gaskets. I prefer to use Suzuki 1207B sealant, or on occasion i have used the Mercedes block sealer. My vote goes to the Suzuki 1207B because it is very easy to work with, has very long working time (important on engine cases, and this is what it was developed for) and I have never had a leak. Covers like clutch cover, you never know when you will have to pull it again. It takes less than 5 min to clean up the surfaces if they were sealed with that stuff. Initially it may take me 20-30 min to do a perfect prep the first time!

--Nick

Comment

Well said Pro................cabin fever anyone?
                                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                                X