Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front emblem question

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the front emblem from the Specials fit the standards? My '80G doesn't have anything there but a black wire guide bracket. Not that this is unnecessary but I would like to dress it up a little.

btw - I just packed my Kerker megaphone and what a difference. Not only in sound but responsiveness as well. Only trouble is that I noticed the manifolds getting blue well beyond the original 3" or so.....????
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Take a look at the plugs,
    then check out the tech tips for plug color...

mro

Comment

re: plugs...

Before packing the megaphone I checked them and found them to be totally black, but dry. I cleaned them, checked the gap (which was correct), and re-installed them.
      When I mentioned this to my mechanic he blamed it on the gas I was using.... mainly any brand and I always use premium. He suggested I only use Shell, BP, or Sunoco. Any thruth to this? I've yet to run a tank or two through it so I can check them again. I'm using the correct NGKs. (BP6ES??)
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Due to epa stuff, very little difference between one station and another.
        Some due have a tiny amount more "deturgents" in em.
        (shell/chevron)

mro

Comment

Thanks MRO, that's what I thought. Especially here in FL where they basically come out of the same tanks at the ports.

Another question,
          My bike runs great, no complaints. But I notice a major surge of power beyond say 3,500 rpm. Is that when the carb needles open up and the gas flows unrestricted from the main jets?
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Transistion to mains starts above 2000 RPM.

Can run with "choke" on.
            At 2500 RPM turn it off and there is no change in RPM
            because you have moved to mains.

mro
            torqe starts comimg up fast above 3000 RPM

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I hardly ever use the choke. Maybe if it sits for a week or ten days I'll use the first position. But I try not to go that long w/out riding!!
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

You may be running just on the rich side.
                Even in summer I use the enricher circut (choke) to start.
                On both BS34 II and BS34 III carbs.

mro
                BTW, best to have the carbs dialed in properly,
                but better a tad rich than running lean

Comment

Now that you mention it. I was riding with the PO and he noticed a bit of "smoke" coming out of the exhaust and commented I may be running a little rich.
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

emblem

The answer to your first question is yes, the emblems will fit. Also, as a note, I am running one from a 650.
                    Regards,
                    T
                    '81 H

Comment

Thanks, TDog.
                      Are the forks so similar in geometry? Are they the same distance apart? Or did you have to modify the fork emblem?
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                      X