Special vs. Standard side and center stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special vs. Standard side and center stands

Anyone who has both a Special and Standard, is there a difference in tha stands between the models? I'm thinking that the Special center stand has a longer foot due to the fatter pipes and the Special side stand has a longer lever for the same reason?

I picked up a Center Stand from Andreash Wise and it was off a standard. Andreash said center stands are all the same for the different models and years. My center stand fit perfect. I do not know about side stands though.
    1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

My std. sidestand measures about 1/4" longer than the special does. Std. sits a bit higher because of 17" rear wheel.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have centre stands from a European Sport model which is basically the same as the Special, and some Standard centre stands.

The lever on the centre stands are different, they are both on bikes at the moment so difficult to tell how much.

I also have sidestands on bikes and a few spare, they also are different, some have longer kick stick (or whatever you call it) and some are different angles and some don't have the little extra kickstick strengthener welded in. Of course some of these differences could have been inflicted by PO's but some of the differences look factory.

Hope this helps a bit. Sorry I can't be more specific, its late here so I ready to hit the sack not the garage
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Randy; Yep, like Tom says, the center stand is different, like you thought the Specials have a longer lever.

Center Stand for the early Standards (E, F, G) is 2H7-27111-00-00

Center Stand for most of the rest (H, SG, LG, SH, LH, XJ11 & 5K7) is 3H3-27111-01-00
          Brian
          XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
          Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Thanks, Brian. Ever since I changed my exhaust to a MAC 4-into-2, I've had a problem with both the side and center stands. I had to bend the lever on the center stand to clear the pipes and the side stand is almost unreachable with my foot. I think switching to the Special stands might be a solution.

Now I just need to verdict on the sidestand from the special - longer lever (kick stick?) than the standard?

Comment

I'm running special pipes on my standard and had to switch to a center stand off of a special to get every thing to work right, I also welded a foot pad from a dirt bike to the end of the arm on my side stand to make it easier to catch with my foot.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

The center stands are different between the standard and special. On the special the foot arm to set out further from the frame to clear the style of pipes used on the specials. I have both types here are they are differentin this fashion. A special stand on a standard will hang out further at the side of the pipes when up. I do not know if a standard stand would therefore hit the pipes in the up position.
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

mro

Comment

Thanks, mro

That settles it, I'll mount the special stands. The bike will lean over a bit more on the side stand, but i don't think it wil lean too far, may even add stability.

Comment

Holding em back to back,
                      Standard is only 1/4 inch longer.

mro

Comment

UPDATE

OK,

Thanks to Andreas for providing the Special stands. This turned out to be the perfect solution to my issue of exhaust clearance. Any of you who have fitted a MAC 4-2 exhaust to your Standard and have clearance problems with the stands, go for it and mount the Special stands.

Comment

I can vouch for MAC 4-2 and the Special stands. Center works great, but I'm tempted to do just a bit of banding with the side to hook it better with my size 12 boots.
                          1981 XS1100S (former)
                          2006 Suzuki Katana 600 "BLKMGE"

Comment

Working...
                          X