X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Old Are These Tyre

HI I BOUGHT MY BIKE 3 WEEKS AGO .I HAVE
    PIRELLI MT69 STRADA 100/90/19 ON FRONT
    MICHELIN MACADAM 50 130/90/17 ON REAR DOES ANYONE HAVE A ROUGH IDEA HOLD OLD THESE TYRES MAYBE. THEY SEEM VERY HARD. AND I CAN'T FIND THEM ON THE MANUFACTURES WEBSITES. THE BIKE FEELS LIKE IT IS FLOPPING ABOUT ON THE FRONT RIM (A BIT LIKE A FLAT TYRE.)
    JOHN'O
    Xs1100E 1978
    American Import Cruiser

Hi XSrunner,

I only found this out recently!

There should be a number at the end of the "DOT" markings on the tyre..... most only have it marked on one side.

If it is four digits, it is this century, ie, 0204 would be made in the second week of 2004. If the number is three digit and a "triangle" shape, it dates from the nineties......... if it is older than that, just throw it away! LOL!

That all works in Europe; don't know if it identical in the US!

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

When I got my first XS I thought it was the crapiest handleing bike I'd ever rode. New tires resolved most issues. The XS is still not the best handling machine but very good with in it's limits.

date code is stamped on tire like Alan said

mro

Comment

John

Here's the info specific to the Pirelli: Click

And here's the same for the Michelin: Click

Same info, just different presentation... Not certain that there is an "international" standard yet...

Other than that, just like Alan said...

Miti
        One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
        • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
        • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
        • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
        • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

if it is older than that, just throw it away! LOL!
          Nooooo!

If its older than that give it someone who rides a sidecar outfit...................like meeeee!!

Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

JOHN'O :

Besides the tyres, you might check the steering bearings. Worn steering bearings can cause the bike to 'hunt' for a straight line.

Comment

like meeeee!!

You want to pay freight...
              I got a few like new from the early 80's

mro

Comment

Thanks for the offer MRO

But if you know of anyone running an outfit.......pass them on, its better than scrapping good but old tyres. I always give stuff away before scrapping it, rather someone had use of stuff

I've been given a lot of tyres that are in good condition but gone a bit hard, they work good on the outfit.
                Tom
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg

Comment

I know I will take some heat for this .. BUT .. motorcycle tire manufacturers pretty much recommend that a tire not be used for more then 4 years regardless of it's condition/ appearance.
                  Rob
                  KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                    .... motorcycle tire manufacturers pretty much recommend that a tire not be used for more then 4 years regardless of it's condition/ appearance...
                    That's pretty much the same advice SWMBO and got a few years back when we took the MSF Licenced Riders course.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

I RANG PIRELLI TODAY AND FOUND OUT THE FRONT TYRE IS 11YRS OLD. I THINK I BETTER GET RID OF THEM.IT MIGHT NOT BE HELPING THE WONDERING .THEY ARE VERY HARD. I'VE NOTICED ON A FEW THREADS THAT THE DUNLOP D404 TYRES SEEM TO BE THE GO. ON THE XS1100E .ANY OTHER? WHAT ABOUT METZLER?.
                      JOHN'O
                      Xs1100E 1978
                      American Import Cruiser

Comment

I know I will take some heat for this .. BUT .. motorcycle tire manufacturers pretty much recommend that a tire not be used for more then 4 years regardless of it's condition/ appearance.
                        Totally agree, what worries me is, when going to a tyre fitting workshop/supplier for a 30 year old bike with rim widths and diameters that are well out of date, how long has the supplier had the tyre sat on the shelf if he doesn't shift many of em.

I always put new tyres on my solo bikes, my sidecar outfit is only used for low speed mucking about, I'm more likely to have a tyre deflate by a broken spoke being shoved back into the tube.
                        Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Now you know how to tell how old your "New" tyres actually are!

AlanB
                          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Kinda Kenda Tyres

I opted for less dear Kenda tires (approx. $48 USD ) on my XJ11. They worked well as long as it was dry pavement.

My old 404 Dunlops hunted every groove in the road and were hard as rocks. The softer compound Kendas got a bit stickier after they had some miles on them.
                            79 XS11 Standard F stock "Big N Blue"

Comment

Working...
                            X