Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tubeless tire repair gun kit(Good or no)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubeless tire repair gun kit(Good or no)

I have a roofing nail in my back tire. Are these repair gunsgood with the mushroom head plugs and cement? thanks and any suggestions will be appreciated

yeah the plugs work ok,if i get a puncture i run a tube tho...peace of mind
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

The best thing to do would be to get a dealer to patch it from the inside. Second best would be a 'mushroom head plug', I know people who have run 2 or 3 plugs in Sportbike tires , I would never do this. Most tire manufacturers say you can plug(patch) one hole in a tire, if any more it is junk. (IIRC) If tire was more than half worn or more than 5 years old I would replace it, if not I would patch it and go......On my Bandit I would have it replaced even if new.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I spent many years repairing tires on cars. My suggestion on plugs to customers (and for myself) is that plugs work as a temporary fix. ASAP have the plug removed and patch the tire (from the inside. In my experience I've found several occasions where the plug seems to have caused ply seperation (bubble of air between the plys) and the tire is then junk. It's actually against the law in some states to allow a vehicle to leave the shop with tires in this condition.
        This has applied to my automotive tire experience and I will use the same thinking on my XS tires (when I finally switch to tubeless)
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Mushroom plugs are good. I have used them for many years. Never had one fail or leak. This is for nail-holes. Anything that is bigger or looks torn is doom for the tire.

Many hundreds of thousands of miles. I have plugged (mushroom) tons of tires.

YMMV of course...
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Where do you find the mushroom plugs and guns? Last summer I looked all over for them. Figured they didn't make them anymore. Ended up using the non-mushroom head plugs and, needle head like, insertion tool. Works great if you leave the bike in the garage, otherwise they leak. The steel cords tare up the plugs. Took about four plugs to make through the last half of the summer. Going to put a new tire on this winter. I wouldn't mind getting the gun and mushroom plugs to keep for emergencies.

Bob

PS. The cans of Fix-A-Flat don't work either.
            #1 ’79 XS11 Special
            #2 ’79 XS11 Special
            '97 V-Max
            '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Bob....DO NOT use fixaflat.
              1. Your in for a nightmare come tire change time.
              2. If left in for a prolonged period they will EAT the wheels UP.
              I bought a rear wheel for a Goldwing that had had fix a flat in it,
              the wheel is pitted on the inside and the aluminum is crumbling.
              You can poke a pocket knife thru the WHEEL.
              captjerry
              86 GL1200A
              81 GL500
              81 XS1100 SH

Comment

You can buy the mushroom plugs/guns in a kit from JC Whitney. Also other web sources too.
                CUAgain,
                Daniel Meyer
                Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Working...
                X