Spark Plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs

Hi i know they are supposed to have bp6es (ngk) in xs1100e but has anyone had better performance out of a hotter plug (bp5es or Bp4es) thanks.will it help the bike is running a bit rich.being a hotter plug will it burn the fuel off.
    JOHN'O
    Xs1100E 1978
    American Import Cruiser

plugs

I went with the ngk iridium plugs and my bike runs much smoother
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Spark Plug

Hi XSrunner,

Funny to see the spark plug Question, as,

I was browsing NGK Friday night (2/15/08).

They now make a high performance plug, and, I

beleive it is a takeoff on their racing performance plugs.

Anyway, I ordered 4 of them that night, & picked them

up yesterday, they seem slick.

Heres the info for them:

NGK
      IRIDIUM IX
      BPR6EIX
      6637 (stock number)

Oh, BTW, they cost Me, OTD, $ 27.92 !!

SOOOOOOOOOO dey better work, lol

P.S. gunna slap en in this mornin, & c how they do.

Hmmmm, 31 degrees out now,

think I will wait till this afternoon !!!

LTR, Andy B
      Andy B. North Coast, Ohio

Comment

Hey Runner,

HERE's a Thread discussing the attributes of hot and cold plugs . Good info from folks IN THE KNOW!

You don't want to run too hot of a plug for several reasons. A "stronger" spark is different than the Heat/Temp of the plug tip!
        T.C.

PS, Here's a list of alternative brands of plugs in the Tech Tips!
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you want a little hotter spark, simply widen the gap a little bit.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

A while back I installed the Bosch Platinum +4. I as an final product review, I would say save your $$. They run fine but there really is no noticeable improvement. They do however have a relatively long life span which may make them worth the $$. However, I think that when I go to the MSD, I will go to regular plugs or try the iridium plugs.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Without getting too much into the rhyme or reason, a hotter plug does not actualy spark or burn hotter. The heat range denotes how much combustion heat the plug transmits to the cylinder head to be taken away from the combustion chamber. A hotter plug just transmits less heat from the chamber to the head thereby holding the chamber temp in the correct range. Good combustion (carb jetting, timing, chamber shape and plug placement aside) results at about 1200 degrees so look at the plug as sort of your combustion chamber thermostat. If your chamber temp is too cold your plug will foul and you will see carbon deposits build on the firing tip and insulator. If it is too hot you will get some deposits of alum, silica, etc. on your plug tip. A correct plug will be just hot enough to burn off the carbon from the combustion process from the tip and insulator.

BP6Es plugs run like C%$p in my 79 special. One range hotter (BP5ES) works perfectly without any other changes. So try a few different types and use the one that burns the best.

Also, I have found that with a relatively stock XS motor, exotic plugs do not really seem worth the price.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Spark Plugs

I lived in Orange County ['95-'01] and my plugs always used to look brown. I'm in SLC now and I went to the BP5ES because the change in altitude and cold air turned them black and oily. I noticed better performance when I did. The BP5ES plug is rare and the equivalent autolite didn't have the usual removeable silver screw tops so I had to change my spark plug wire ends. The Champion N11YC is in the same heat range as the BP5ES [N9YC=BP6ES] and when I first bought it was supposted to be the Top Fuel Drag Racing plug. They are usually about 1.25 each. Don't try and reuse them though. I think they say 409 on the box and they usually are the ones I choose. Champion Numbering System

I get confused about repairs and when I asked the dealer to fix mine he installed the BP6ES [or BP5ES]. They can't diagnose problems without a stock plug.

For hop ups though, I had lifetime guarantee TP3 splitfire but I dropped them on the floor and couldn't tell if they were working or not after a while. They are good - performance increases are noticeable and you can pull them and shine them up whenever dirty. The metal they are made out of looks good on top of the bike.

These 2 links are to plugs I would like to try:
                NGK

Drag Plugs
                By the by, drag plugs are appropriate because 11 Special refers to 11 seconds in the quarter mile.
                [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

plugs

Ditto to what T. C. said...................spend the time properly setting up carbs and fuel mixtures and stock plug is all that is necessary for opti performance. I live where riding is everything from 3,500ft. elev. to 10,500ft. and never have any problems. Being a CV carb set-up, they compensate for lack of vacuum at high altitudes fairly well. Properly set it up for what altitude you ride the most at let the carb diaphrams compensate for the rest. If carbs are all set the same by syncing and jetting is correct to where most riding is done, won't be perfect at 10,000 ft. but also will run smooth at lugging rpm's right up thru redline. Key is to spent a little time properly setting up carbs and pay-off will be worth the extra effort
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

thanks for the info.might have to have a play with carbs.THERE IS A GUY ON EBAY called GEORGESFIX.he has carby kits on there are they any good,has anyone used them.if so do i get the kit with the long needle looking thing in it. the kits are very expencive in australia.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us
                    thanks again for the help this a great site .
                    JOHN'O
                    Xs1100E 1978
                    American Import Cruiser

Comment

carb 'kits' are a waist of $$. Clean and correctly tune, and you'll get better results than kits. The problem is cleanliness, not parts.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

carb 'kits' are a waist of $$. Clean and correctly tune, and you'll get better results than kits. The problem is cleanliness, not parts.
                        It's so nice to see someone else realize what the real problem is. Great minds think alike!!
                        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

red bandit and 81xsproject
                          so all i need is bowl gasket??
                          JOHN'O
                          Xs1100E 1978
                          American Import Cruiser

Comment

I don't replace the gaskets unless they are broken or leaking. Maybe replace float needles if they don't shut off. Needles only, not the seat.
                            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X