GSXR carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR carbs

Set of GSXR 36mm carbs on ebay for anyone who might be interested in the conversion. Currently at $21.49. Buy it now price is $95. They are not mine, I just thought I'd give a heads up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=017
    Last edited by Guy_b_g; 02-16-2008, 09:34 PM.
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Has there been a definite answer as to how well these carbs fit on the XS11?
    1980 XS11 Basketcase

Comment

Hi Matt,

They work well on mine......

AlanB
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
        Hi Matt,

They work well on mine......

AlanB
        Hi Alan!!!
        What is your opinion of these carbs???Imean do they look decent clean???Would they work on my '82 XJ1100...redundant questions perhaps?Just need some reassurances cuz I just bought 'em...LOL
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Re: GSXR carbs

Originally posted by Guy_b_g
          Set of GSXR 36mm carbs on ebay for anyone who might be interested in the conversion. Currently at $21.49. Buy it now price is $95. They are not mine, I just thought I'd give a heads up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=017
          I Thank You for the heads up..I got 'em...a while back I was bidding on some Kawasaki ZRX1200 carbs but lost the bidding war...this item had a buy it now so I cut the BS and bit the bullet.Since i have read that they worked for AlanB i decided to take the leap...what the heck whats one more project for MadMax?
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hi Max,

Well done Max! Once you get 'em, check the plastic inserts where the slides fall; they are prone to wear, but are (fairly!) cheaply available.......

If I can help with any info; just let me know......

AlanB

Comment

Rest assured I will be picking your brain alot...LOL...Thanks for the comments Alan ... i would not have done this at all if it weren't for you...so i owe you alot and will owe you alot more ...to be continued...
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

And if he can't get them to work he will probably hunt you down. LOL
                1982 XJ1100J "Horse with No Name"

Comment

I'm no stalker

Originally posted by DVigue
                  And if he can't get them to work he will probably hunt you down. LOL
                  Nah I am not like that at all.As always YMMV.Just dont try to enter my home uninvited though....
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You're welcome for the heads up Max. I already have a set of these, and also a set of RS 36 Mikuni flatslides. I haven't made my mind up yet which I will try first.

Hard part with the RS Mikunis is setting up a push-pull throttle and having to set up a light switch (and possibly the kill and start switches..depending on what throttle I choose).

Some people don't like the RS style carbs, which are not CV, but manually operated radial flat slides, with accelerator pumps.

I don't mind manual slides on a street bike because I used to have Dellorto's with manual slides and pumps on my Guzzi LeMans. You just can't give it a huge handful of throttle all at once or it'll fall on it's face, but you get used to it quickly.

Still, it'll be easier to set up the slingshot CV carbs if only because I can use all of my old controls.

Tough decision.
                    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Hi Guy,

The RSs are fantastic carbs for power, but they are not really meant for the street; I have run a couple of bikes with 'em, and never really managed to get a "civilised" ride..... although you might be better at setting up than me!

The GSXR carbs fired up and idled sweet as soon as I popped 'em into the rubbers. I would rate them as the best mod I have done to the bike so far.

I have dyno sheets posted on the forum somewhere, but the 90bhp peak is only half the story; The bike starts, runs and drives like a far newer design; there is far more bottom-end power, and trickling along through traffic is much easier, since it pulls right from idle (and I have no first gear!)

DO IT!!

AlanB

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB

...check the plastic inserts where the slides fall; they are prone to wear, but are (fairly!) cheaply available.......

AlanB
                        AlanB, in the US I could not find those plastic slide guides and was told by many different sources of carb parts that because the carbs are made for Suzuki (by Mikuni) the replacement parts would have to come from Suzuki (some terms of the contract they have) and that Mikuni can not/ and would not sell them. Suzuki shows thase parts as not available thought.....

--Nick

Comment

Hi Somesuch,

I fitted my carbs on the advice of my local bike shop, who were a "Dynojet" dealer, and ran a Dynojet dyno...... My carbs were OK, but I am sure the shop carried the parts needed. I have no idea where they sourced 'em, and I can't ask 'cos the shop is now gone....... Sorry!

AlanB

Comment

Originally posted by somesuch

AlanB, in the US I could not find those plastic slide guides and was told by many different sources of carb parts that because the carbs are made for Suzuki (by Mikuni) the replacement parts would have to come from Suzuki (some terms of the contract they have) and that Mikuni can not/ and would not sell them. Suzuki shows thase parts as not available thought.....

--Nick
                            OH Boy...sounds like there could be a problem..if my carbs need these...we'll have to wait and see...the GSXR carbs will be here by the end of the week and I am hoping to get lucky...
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Guy_b_g
                              You're welcome for the heads up Max. I already have a set of these, and also a set of RS 36 Mikuni flatslides. I haven't made my mind up yet which I will try first.

Hard part with the RS Mikunis is setting up a push-pull throttle and having to set up a light switch (and possibly the kill and start switches..depending on what throttle I choose).

Some people don't like the RS style carbs, which are not CV, but manually operated radial flat slides, with accelerator pumps.

I don't mind manual slides on a street bike because I used to have Dellorto's with manual slides and pumps on my Guzzi LeMans. You just can't give it a huge handful of throttle all at once or it'll fall on it's face, but you get used to it quickly.

Still, it'll be easier to set up the slingshot CV carbs if only because I can use all of my old controls.

Tough decision.
                              Not so tough for me...use the GSXR carbs...especially in light of what AlanB has said abt those other carbs...IMHO still able to use all the same controls...priceless
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X