update on my 80 xs 1100 ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update on my 80 xs 1100 ms

ok when it comes to stuff like this im lost, i have done research, but still drawing a duh moments, , i have my alternator/stator off and setting on the table, i have the ohms set on its lowest setting, Now what? i read on another web that u connect one prong of the ohm reader to the connecter (one white wire at a time) and the other prong to ground, if it reads zero then its good. but that dont sound right? or can i check it with it off the bike? thanks for any help
    Jeremy
    1980 XS100 MNS-work in progress-husband's
    1985 700 Honda Shadow-soon to be mine
    2003 300 Kawasaki Bayou-husband's
    1994 Polaris 400L-mine
    2001 KTM 520-husband's

No,

Stator testing:

Readings between any white wire and any other white wire should be close to 0 ohms. Do test all possible combinations.

Readings between any white wire and the case (what you're calling ground?) should be infinite (no continuity).

Field coil testing:

Reading between brown and green should be approx.4 ohms.

Reading between any wire and the case should be infinite.

Comment

Per the Yamaha Book

White to White: .4 Ohm +- 10%
      Brown to Green 3.5 Ohm +- 10%
      XS1100SF
      XS1100F

Comment

I believe you test one white wire against the other two not the ground and should read about 0.4 ohms plus or minus 10% If they are fine test the brown to green on the field coil
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

thanks for the help if i did it right then its all ok

thanks guys
          Jeremy
          1994 Polaris 400L-mine
          2001 KTM 520-husband's

Comment

update on my 80 xs 1100 ms

i want to thank everyone so far, today i checked the stator and it checked out ok, so i put it back on rewired the pick up coil , but i have a ? about the pick up coil, can u mix up 2 wires and get spark? i am askin that b.c i have spark to all 4 cylinders , yesssssssss, finally after setting 3 years, a fire,and she still has spark, , but no lights my other ?s is i dont have the turn signals hooked up so since this not being connected would break the circut?or could it be my reserve lighting device, i used one off a 79 750 special, same connecters, but one number off on the part number, and also im using a tank with no fuel sensor, should i just cap the wires off , or would it break the circut?, like i said im getting spark to all 4, just no lights,

thanks for the help so far
            Jeremy
            1994 Polaris 400L-mine
            2001 KTM 520-husband's

Comment

You'll want to check the alternator output to make sure it's working. The main headlight relay is ran off of the alternator as opposed to the battery. If the alternator is inop, the headlight relay will be too. Look for a couple of volts more (around 14 or so, IIRC) on the battery terminals when the engine is running.

It also occurs to me that there should be a diode in the path of the line from the alternator to the headlight relay, in order to rectify it properly to fire said relay. Maybe yours is missing or defective?

I'm sure XS'ers more well versed in it than I will chime in as well...
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

I merged your recent threads, that way WE can keep track of what you have done, what has been suggested, etc.!

As JW stated, the headlight won't turn on until the engine is running. I think you have stated that you have SPARK, but have not necessarily tried to start it yet!

I also remember someone commenting on the fuseblock, did you get a replacement with the new harness? Does it still have the glass fuses? That old style holder is known for having problems, the tangs cracking and breaking, and the glass fuses can look good but be bad...need to continuity check them, not just visually inspect them.

The fuel gauge wires are just for the gauge, not the lights, but just leave it unplugged, don't short them together.

Can't comment on the use of the 750 RLU for the 11?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks all, thank u topcat for the merger , ok i thought when the key is on the light comes on, so maybe its just me then, and its not running just yet, i have spark, thats one thing i was worried about, the fuse box came with the wiring harness, i was gonna make one or maybe have tomcat supply me with one, dont know what im gonna do yet, ...but one more thing, would the running lights all come one when then key is on, or does it have to be running for that too?

thanks for all the help
                  Jeremy
                  1994 Polaris 400L-mine
                  2001 KTM 520-husband's

Comment

Running lights usually come on with the ignition on. The headlight is the only light that waits for the engine to start. If you have spark, you are VERY close to a running bike!!
                    As TopCat said, replace the OEM fuse block with a new style, and that should solve about 95% of the problems you have left.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Jeremy,

Here's the link to one of the Tech Tips about replacing the fuseblock, with the info on how to order one if you want!

Here's a photo of the one that I provide!

T.C. aka TopCat!
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X