Engine Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Covers

I am in the process of buffing the aluminum on my XS and I wonder which of the engine covers can be removed with oil in the engine and which ones can't. I will order gaskets for the ones that hold the oil in so I don't end up with oil leaks on my newly finished aluminum.

The timing cover and the timing chain adjuster are completed and look almost like chrome so I'm getting really interested in completing the polishing.

Has anyone polished the valve cover? Would that make the engine run hotter?
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

all my casings are mirror polished,whilst the motor is black.technically it will run hotter but not so youd notice......go for it
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

polish

polishing parts will not make it run hotter.Actually will run cooler than being black,although not noticably.contrasting parts adds a excellent look.I polished my clutch side case, then powder coated the clutch adjuster cover matching color of bike.Or paint case and polish adjuster cover....Will

Comment

black equals cooler?

hmmm... I think I'll agree with chopper on this one... I would think that since black objects radiate heat more effeciently, a black engine would run cooler.

For example, black radiators (the kind in ur house, not ur car) are more effecient than white ones. Also, a black roof will actually be cooler than ambient temprature on a clear night since it radiates its energy into space.

Granted, a black surface will also absorb energy faster than a white surface when its subjected to a source of infrared light (such as the sun), but I think that would be outweighed do the temp difference between the engine and the atmosphere...

HUH, I guess I really did learn somthing in Physics 101... who woulda thought?

BUT, who really cares-- chicks dig chrome!
        79ish suzuki rm250
        82 honda cb450sc
        78 honda cx500
        72 honda cb175
        78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Hey nashville_bill.......what did you use to get your covers so shiney? I had all mine off a couple years ago , and although I got them polished I was'nt so satisfied with the results. I wanted them to look like chrome too............whats your secret. stumpy

'79 XS 1100 Special, 4-1 Header, K&N, Coils, Painted '99 Mustang Candy Burghandy. 34,000 mls and counting.

Comment

Caswell Plating

Well, I only did a couple of parts so far but I like what I see. I found a great web site and source for polishing supplies and information at www.caswellplating.com that will tell you everything about polishing, plating or powder coating.

You can log in using: Username = support Password = plater

They have a two for one special on buffing wheels now.

Good luck!
            Bill Murrin
            Nashville, TN
            1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
            1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
            2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
            2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
            1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
            2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hey Stumpy,
              There is also alot of info right here on the sites Tips section.

Check out the polishing tips here.

Hey Bill,
              Has anyone answered you question about which engine covers could be removed? I'd like to know that myself. I'm about to do the same thing.
              I'm going to tear the top end off and paint them and polish the fin edges. I would like to have some parts chromed, but I'm afraid its going to be expensive.

Send up picts when your all polished up.

btw Bill, hows the Hardley muffs?

Ride Safe
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Re: Engine Covers

Originally posted by nashville_bill
                I wonder which of the engine covers can be removed with oil in the engine and which ones can't.
                Did you ever get an answer to this, or figure it out? I would be interested to know as well. Also, did you strip the clearcoat off the aluminum before you polished it? I have not stripped the clearcoat and some areas polish up well while others only fair.
                Robert
                79 SF

Comment

all except clutch (main case) and shifter casing.
                  mick
                  xs1.1s(x2)
                  gsxr1100(1127)
                  gsx1100g(x2)
                  trophy900
                  bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

partly buffed

As you can see from the pic what time and a buffing wheel can do to make things look better. I am using a 8" bench grinder from Sears and buffing wheels and compound from Caswells, takes time but well worth it. The round cover is not finished yet and the rest is what the cover looked like before I started.

Gary
                    79sf
                    78e

Comment

Clearcoat can be stripped with paint stripper or something similar. I used a buffing wheel with jewellers rouge and then followed that with a good aluminum polish, (Autosol or Mother's work well) I also used my Dremel tool to get into the small corners. Obviously it is easier to do this with the covers removed, but I have heard of people doing it with them still on the engine....
                      Brian
                      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks wayne and bill, as soon as I asked the question I found my answers but thanks again for your responses.

'79 XS11 Special Dyna Coils Accel Wires Jardine 4 into1 K&N

Really hard on rear tires though?

Comment

Working...
                        X