Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frames

Are the frames the same on the regular and special? TIA

NO they are NOT the same. The engine mounts will all fit, but the side covers and seats are different. The front forks and triple trees are also different between the standard and the special.
    What I am saying is you CAN swap engines from any bike to any bike. The rest of the frames MUST match, and on later years the parts won't fit from earlier years.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

silly question.
      without the emblems and other letters how do you know which one you have?
      also does anyone have they yamaha and XS 1100 emblems they want to get rid of?

Comment

The easy way is the front axle. If it's at the bottom of the forks, you have a standard. If it's part way up from the bottom, you have a special.
        The BEST way is look at the FRAME number, and match it with the Specifications listed on the MAIN page, xs11.com That will tell you the year and model of the frame. The engine could have been replaced, so I would NOT use the engine number for that, unless it matches the frame number.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have an 81 Special assembled on a 78 Standard frame, that is, the entire bike, engine, wiring, swing arm, side covers, etc. are 81 Special. The main part of the frame is all that is Standard. Because of the frame sticker it is registered as a 78. This was done by the PO.
          Highlander

Comment

The easiest way to tell at Special frame from a Standard frame if you don't know about the serial numbers is the Special rear break pedal shaft goes through a bushing on the frame. The standard does not have this bushing and uses the muffler mount to hold the break pedal shaft.

The exception to this may be the 81 Standard as I think it uses the same fram as a Special.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

I have found that you can interchange just about every part between all models and years. With a little work even the side covers and seats. The only parts that wont interchange (without hard work) are the large aluminum brackets that hold up the mufflers and foot pegs (except for 81 models= all the same).

That's how I was able to tell that Revello's bike, in the picture thread, was not a Special and not an 81 Standard.

Comment

Working...
              X