Carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetors

I have almost successfully disassembled the carbs while performing the tasks mentioned in the book. I went a bit to far and started removing the choke rod. Well after almost loosing the ball bearing and ruining one of the choke rod screws. I put it back together less on screw. The screw had a replacement, but it to has been discontinued. Do you guys know where I can find the screw?

Then followed "Removing and Cleaning your XS11 Carburetors" by Maans Smit

Good thing the kit Part #48-1408 I ordered has a new gasket. The old ones are totally destroyed. Question about the float seats. Do they come with the screen? Or, do I need to salvage the old ones?

I didn't break anything else (HURRAY) removed all the parts Maans Smit mentions.

After this thing is all cleaned up should I set the float height? Should I try to do the bench sync? I would think the old settings would work until I do a real sync while running.
    Getty

1980 SG

I forgot to mention that the #1 and #2 slides were not sliding well. Im think this is why the bike didnt run well.

They mention using baby oil on the slides. Is that ok or shoul i use something else?
    Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Getty,

I have extra choke rod sets screws.PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple.

Save the screens on the float seats, new seats don't come with the screens.

Never heard of using baby oil on the slides, but I don't think it would hurt anything. Regular motor oil would probably do just as well. Eventually whatever lube you use will be diluted by gas and burned away anyhow.

Comment

Randy,

The article by Maans Smit mentions using baby oil instead of other thicker oils, because they form heavy residue.

I think he may be on to something. #1 and #2 had thick droopy dark rings. The dark rings of droopy oil were definitely the cause.
        Getty

1980 SG

Comment

When I rebuild carbs, I do not put ANY oil in them. If everything is cleaned properly, they will work. If I need some on the enricher, I use a silicone base oil on the two "stops". This keeps the rod moving easily, even after riding in the rain.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey Getty,

The Goopy stuff is probably varnish from the fuel, not necessarily oil residue. Once it's cleaned off properly, along with the carb body slide tunnel, then it should slide very easily and no oil is needed. And you want to be careful not to get oil on the vacuum rubber diaphragm.

Besides the ball bearing, there is also a little spring that is/was behind the ball bearing, so you'll want to make sure it didn't SPROING away!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My spring sprung a long time ago. But the little on is safe.

Great tutorial on the pre sync. Not to sure of the idle. It should dial in nicely once started.

Float adjustments: Was a little scared about this one. Just realized that I have to adjust the floats. What is the specification for the 1980 SG special?
              Getty

1980 SG

Comment

I got the spec 25.7mm +/- 1mm.

The manual that came with the bike is for a different year. I feel much better after looking at the correct manual.
                Getty

1980 SG

Comment

I have later model carbs on my 79XS1100SF special and I set my floats to 23mm +/- 1mm. Works pretty well for me!

Its not too scary, just be ginger with the tangs. Also, inspect the tangs for warn spots. Just the slightest spot might grab the needle causing it to seat cock-eyed, thus making your carb puke up gas!!
                  Corey J. Bennett
                  '79 XS1100SF

Comment

I believe the two small balls and springs onthe enrichener rod are still available from Yamaha. I think they come in packs of five so you get the chance to lose a few of them again.

I did change out the set screws using some allen set screws I purchased at the hardware store.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by Getty
                      My spring sprung a long time ago. But the little on is safe.

Great tutorial on the pre sync. Not to sure of the idle. It should dial in nicely once started.

Float adjustments: Was a little scared about this one. Just realized that I have to adjust the floats. What is the specification for the 1980 SG special?
                      The float setting for the 80 SG is 23.5 mm, plus or minus .5 mm.

Comment

Job well done.

Thank you guys for being so supportive. I followed the tech tips, manual, and all of your suggestions. Finished the carb cleaning / rebuild tonight. The bike really performs well.

Pre Sync - Did it with the bag wire. It worked well. But, I can’t tell if I made a small hole or the PO did. Then I did the three-hole test. That works amazing!

Float Height Adjustment - The supplement manual I pulled from the website listed http://search.ebscohost.com/Login.as...uthtype=ip,uid (library, library)Manuals ** 23mm as the desired height. I didn't have the special measuring tool. The ruler I had didn’t work well. So I used one of the toothpicks soaked with carb cleaner to make the adjustment. Set the toothpick on my rule and marked the desired height 23mm. Worked for me.

HURRAY!! I feel really good about this.
                        Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Dont worry about sending those enricher set screws. I bought one from the hardware store.

Thanks again. I owe you some money if you sent them allready.
                          Getty

1980 SG

Comment

Getty, I put the screws in the mail on Saturday. Just hold on to them and if someone wants them, send them out.

Comment

Working...
                            X