Reserive Lighting Device question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserive Lighting Device question

Would it be possible to wire the RLD into another bike or even a car? I am just not totally sure how it works.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

It should be possible...... The problem is it's designed to work with ONE headlamp. Most cars have two, so you would need two RLDs for a car. I don't have a manual handy, as I'm at work, but it shouldn't be that hard.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

My buddies KZ and SWMBO's CB500 are both so old they still have the on and off switch.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Re: Reserive Lighting Device question

Originally posted by 81xsproject
        Would it be possible to wire the RLD into another bike or even a car? I am just not totally sure how it works.
        My question is why would you want to?

The RLU just uses the high beam filament at a reduced power level, along with lighting the dash light to alert you that the low beam filament has burned out.

I would think if you just wanted some way of knowing that the low beam has burned out, you could wire in a relay that would trigger or untrigger when the current thru the low beam filament stopped flowing, and would then light the dash light! I would have no qualms running the bright light at full power IF my low beam burned out, until I could get it replaced!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I guess I mis-understood its purpose. I thought it was respnsible for not powering the headlights until the motor fires. That is why I wanted it on the older bikes that have the on-off headlight switches.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

No, there is a relay that gets its power from the alternator. The relay is what turns on the headlight. Once on, it will stay on until the ignition is turned off. You can find the wire that powers the relay, and just put an inline switch on it to give yourself an "on" switch.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You can also buy a relay and use a switched hot lead from somewhere to power the headlights. That way, you can turn the headlight off with the switch if you are stuck in stop-and-go traffic, or if you are charging the battery at other times. It is a real plus.

Originally posted by DiverRay
              No, there is a relay that gets its power from the alternator. The relay is what turns on the headlight. Once on, it will stay on until the ignition is turned off. You can find the wire that powers the relay, and just put an inline switch on it to give yourself an "on" switch.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
              X