fuel petcock leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel petcock leaking

I have a leaking fuel petcock. Can someone give me info on this I read the repairs section . I dont think I want to bend the valve ? should i order the rebuild kit or can I cut out a gasket? Ill rotate the gasket for temporary. should I pull the tank? or just unscrew petcock? thanks for the advice Brian

leaking petcock, I had the same problem, fixed by getting the overhaul kit at a good m/c shop. I think it was around 20.00 It helps to smooth the metal turner , rubber gasket side,with fine metal sandcloth and a light coat of grease. The rubber gasket would be hard to cut out, it has indentations...funky shapes on it so I recommend dissassemble first and usually you can see the problem, probably the rubber gasket is old and cracked. Also check to see that it is tight at the tank connection, if so use some good gasket cement and tighten. By the way you will need to drain the gas but you can do it without removing the tank, just drain from the gas hose from the petcock into a container or remove tank and dump into a container. If gas is leaking when turned on then the problem is the octopus assembly with a diaphragm by the carbs,,,,,another repair problem altogether.....let us know what happens and the group can get you going....mike in superbowl san diego,,,,xj1100 maxim
    mike
    1982 xj1100 maxim
    1981 venture bagger
    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
    1959 wife

Comment

Originally posted by soccer4m
      leaking petcock, I had the same problem, fixed by getting the overhaul kit at a good m/c shop. I think it was around 20.00 It helps to smooth the metal turner , rubber gasket side,with fine metal sandcloth and a light coat of grease. The rubber gasket would be hard to cut out, it has indentations...funky shapes on it so I recommend dissassemble first and usually you can see the problem, probably the rubber gasket is old and cracked. Also check to see that it is tight at the tank connection, if so use some good gasket cement and tighten. By the way you will need to drain the gas but you can do it without removing the tank, just drain from the gas hose from the petcock into a container or remove tank and dump into a container. If gas is leaking when turned on then the problem is the octopus assembly with a diaphragm by the carbs,,,,,another repair problem altogether.....let us know what happens and the group can get you going....mike in superbowl san diego,,,,xj1100 maxim
      ------------------------------------------------i did the same, ordered a petcock kit, was around $20,an easy fix.

buzz xs11sg (80)

Comment

i got lucky the fuel line was loose at the petcock, petcock is good, thanks anyway brian

Comment

Working...
        X