1981 xs1100rh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 xs1100rh

Hi guys newbie here bought me a 1981 xs1100rh oceania model.

Had it for a couple months now and noticed that oil/fuel mix is spewing out of the number two cyl (from left side), have been told this is due to carb floats or diaphram buggard.

Inlet boots are knackered as well but have read up and found good tips on fixing them (thanks to xs11.com)

Have been tryin to track carb parts down but in NZ it easier to buy chicken lips than parts for the xs's.

I been checking out other bikes with multi carb setups and wondering, what other models I can use, eg fzr exup carbs, mikuni 39mm, look good but would they work.

O and guys am not mechanical, would normally leave it and buy new but fell in love with this old girl and wanna get some life back into her so any and all help thanked for in advance

Hey there MDNZZ,

There are a few members, some new, on here from NZ, you might want to look them up in the Member's Forum!?

Okay, you'll want to take some time and review the tech tips regarding carbs. We(USA) aren't as familiar with the features of your model, the UK guys seem to know it better, but I think it's the SPECIAL style...leading front fork axle, round headlight/gauges, etc.! I think it has an OCTOPUS, vacuum controlled fuel valve. The routing for the fuel hoses can be a bit confusing.

What you're experiencing is common. The carbs have rubber/viton tipped float needles, and they get grooved/hardened, etc., and eventually leak since they don't make a good seal. But, also crud/rust flakes, etc., from the tank can get past the feeble in tank filter screens, and can wedge inbetween the needles and seat, again causing poor seal=leaks!

So...putting on inline fuel filters will help, once you get the carbs fixed. Also, don't ride the bike/run the engine until you have checked to make sure that you DON'T have gas in your oil!

IF so, you'll need to change it/filter before running it, but you'll want to fix the carb problem FIRST, otherwise you can end up with GASOIL again!

The Octy may also be leaking, as well as the petcocks!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

RH oceania model

As TC says per floats/filters...can also be caused by a sticky float (float hanging up on the side of the bowl).

The carb boots can look pretty bad on the out side but normally still work as they are double walled. Dried out/hard ones can leak (suck air) where they connect to the head. I don't use gaskets, just some high temp non harding gasket sealer.

Can go a search for alternate carbs. Some have put newer type carbs on there XSes here and on the UK site. I have no problems with the BS 34's on my stock XSes, but do have a set of flat slide carbs on my hot rod XS

mro
      welcome to XSland...got any pics of your RH?

Comment

thanks guys, yea have had her off the road since I noticed it, was told if it was fuel/oil mix and got into the lower area im up for a complete rebuild ouch...have added a small pic of her, nothing like original but the heart is there

Comment

Black be my favorite color

With those filters can have the carbs off in a few minuets.
          Makes servicing them easy
          Did you make the side cover?

mro
          what ya got in the back ground

Comment

na, bought it as it sits, been moded by previous owner, rebored and oversized 1200 pistons, cams etc, oversized lower gaskets to allow for higher compression (cant start it otherwise) chopped rear sub frame, repositioned controls, bullet indicators, early style headlight, (round not square like the rest) custom seat and side covers (metal).

Bike in background is cruiser ss. chinese replica of honda 50cc.
            Made to do 50kms, so far we've had it upto just over 80kms with a change of sprocket, next will be rear sprocket and bigger carb/air filter kit.
            Bought it for my lady to learn to ride, she gets plenty of thumbs up from other bike owners, most dont know what it is lol.
            Now she's looking at upgrading to at least a 400cc bike

Comment

Working...
            X