Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top end reuild! need rings!!!

HEY GUYS,

well I've started to tear apart the bike to get it ready for summer and I am trying to track down some rings. I have been to www.cheapcycleparts.com and www.bikebandit.com but they both seem really proud of there rings. ranging from $44-54 per piston. does anyone know of a better deal? Maybe i will start to produce them and sell them.

Thanks guys.
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

There had been someone selling (I think) 1st over rings on e-bay express-buy it now for cheap. Seems like about $40 for a full set for 4 pistons. People on here say they will work good, just have to file the ends to get the proper end gap. What's wrong with your rings? Burn oil? If not...leave it along??? Also fill out your signiture so we know what bike, yr, model you have.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I'm surprised.
      Checked bikebandit and they show standard ring set available.
      Does not seem too pricey for a complete set for 4 pistons, unless it means it's a set for but one piston.

mro

Comment

sorry bout the sig. i have a 79 xs1100 special......it does burn ouil
        -Pod Filters
        -4-1 pipe
        -larger jets for carbs

Comment

cylinder jug removal

has anyone tried to replace the rings by lifting off the the cylinder jugs, without spliting the case?
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs

Comment

There is no reason to split the case.

Of course, as some will attest to, getting the jugs to separate from the case can be a real joy.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...5&pagenumber=1

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t=putty+knives
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

This little jewel is what I use to get the cylinders to move that all important first 1/8 inch. Just fits the reinforced section between cylinders and cases while the engine is still in the frame. Gives about 30 to 1 pulling ratio

mro

Comment

BB will be 54.60 per hole. So your pretty much looking at about 220.00 for the full set for the engine.
                I bough a set on eBay that were listed as "Standard" size but when they arrived they were standard 1st over size.
                Unless the job is too difficult I will cut them as necessary
                Rob
                KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hello geniusloerts

You might not need to replace the rings. The most common cause for oil smoke on these bikes is leaky valve guide seals, caused from the bike sitting for a couple of years (and from the bike being so old). Sitting too long causes the seals to dry out and harden, even crack sometimes.
                  These are tough bikes, very over built, If your bike has less than 50,000 miles on it you might not need a rebuild yet.

Removing the head is not hard to do, then you can tell if the cylinders look beat-up or not then.

Have you done a compression test yet?
                  (I'm not kickin your prognoses, Just tryin to save you a bunch of work and money)

Comment

hey guys,

I pulled the head off last night the cylinder walls are as smooth as glass. Unfortunatly i had pulled the head by the time i thought about doing the compression check, learners error.My original intentions were just to replace the timing chain, but with some smoking problems i figured that it may be calling for rings.
                    -Pod Filters
                    -4-1 pipe
                    -larger jets for carbs

Comment

Standard rings

I have a set of standard rings, (4 cylinders), that I am willing to sell. E-mail me offline at dwales@gotmc.net.
                      Highlander

Comment

Working...
                      X